Loud Whisper-flow -yet replaced motor, impeller, bearings

I have an about a 15k gallon pool. Someone previous eliminated the drain. There are no valves, only one 1.5 inch suction line from the skimmer (about 40 feet), a Hayward standard 80 cartridge filter and a 1.5 inch return line that leads in some fashion to 3 return outlets. This is in Florida, year round.

The pump is a 1 Hp Pentair Whisper Flo (plumbing reduced from 2 inch to 1.5 inch). Motor, seals, bearings, impeller all replaced as well as any air bubbles eliminated coming into the suction line. The pump starts out quiet prior into the basket filling with water. Once water in the basket and pressure builds it starts making a loud noise. (the noise existed before the replacements).

When I plugged up 2 return lines at pool, I would hear the pump quite down significantly.

Any idea's to decrease this loud noise? Is the pump too large? What is going on with this strange pool?

Thanks to all for your recommendations.

-Kevin

Re: Loud Whisper-flow -yet replaced motor, impeller, bearin

I'd guess the pump isn't getting enough water. Does the basket stay full?

Can you take us through this a little more slowly? When did you notice the problem, what was the first thing you changed and the second, and so on?

I see you replaced motor, impeller and bearings... in what order and why? Did the old motor die first?
Was the replacement impeller the exact same part?

The history. Bought the house about 10 years ago. Replaced a working pump about 4 years ago because it was too loud with the WhisperFlo hoping for a quiet pump. It was quieter, but not nearly as quiet as I expected. It progressively got loader. 1 Years ago I replace the motor thinking it or the bearing might be causing the noise. No real difference. I put up with it until lately and replaced the impeller and bearings a few weeks ago. Still no real change. I did notice excess air bubbles in the basket. In the last few days, I cut out the suction line from the pump through the first few elbow and couplings (about 4 feet), then pressure tested to the skimmer basket. It held pressure good. I re-plumbed and the air leak went away. Still no changes in the loud pump operation. My next thought is to running an electrical line puller wire from the skimmer towards the pump. I am not sure how many 90's will be in the line. Maybe a plumbing snake would work better.

Thanks for the feedback.

venicebeachvillas said:
The basket does fill with water. The flow seems OK, (no flow meter on the pipes though).

Define full. Is the basket full to the top with no bubbles or turbulence visible?

One thing I noticed on my pumps. Neither of them is bolted down to the pad securely - in fact they just sti there no studs or bolts. They are much louder when I leave them untouched but if I press firmly down on them (simulating them being bolted down) they are much more quiet. Have you tightened the bolts? If you have and that didn't work maybe rubber grommets / isolation washers?

Even if the climate doesn't need it maybe also adding a sound baffle around the pump would help.

In terms of the basket being full, water fills the basket area up to the top sight window with 2 air bubbles, one at the very top where the lid has a round slotted area about inch in diameter and the other in one of the slotted areas of the top about 3/4 inch by 2 inches. In both cases the bubbles are stationary, no visible turbulence. I have other systems with more, this seems pretty normal.

The pumps is not bolted down, but is on a rubber pad. When forced down tight, no change in noise.

The sound appears to be a high pitch / pressure air turbulence sound coming from the pump impeller area. When I block of one or two of the return lines the high pitch turbulence sound reduces. This leads me to believe maybe the suction line could be clogged to some degree, I tried sending a plumbing snake down the line but it would not pass the 90 elbows.

A bit more info. The suction line is about 52 feet, 1.5 inch, 5 - 90 degree elbows, 1 - 45 degree elbows. The WhisperFlo is a PMP WF24 that has a 1.25 HP service factor and the manual indicates a Curve Key F (I'm trying to figure out the significant of this spec.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Does it make sense to replace the motor with maybe a 1/2 hp and run it 24/7 due to the very restricted suction line flow parameter? Maybe a variable speed? Can any of these be fitted on the existing WF24 WhisperFlo or should it be a whole new system. A quiet system is my goal.

I don't believe a single 1.5" line can provide enough water to a 1HP Whisperflo. I have the same pump, and my pump struggles if I close the drain or skimmer on mine. If I were you I'd try replacing the impeller with one for a 3/4HP pump.

Update. I purchased and installed a 3/4 HP WF motor. Worked great for a few minutes until, it stopped. I could hear a trip relay, after the motor cooled a bit it would restart (probably thermal overload). I have read the likely cause is unmatched impeller. Makes sense, consulting with my distributor when I got the motor, he indicated my existing impeller (p/n 073127) would work with this motor. This was being used on my 1 HP motor. Pentair documentation (071109) from the website indicated this is the right impeller for the 3/4 motor, yet the distributors computer database says the 073127 impeller shows it is for a 1 HP motor.

Does anyone have any information to clarify this impeller sizing issue ???

To add a bit more confusion, another person at the distributor said you can not downsize a motor on a WF only the impeller using the original motor HP. Any thoughts on this??

Thanks to all for your experienced advise.

The 073127 impeller is for the 3/4 hp full rated (WF-3, etc.) or 1 hp uprated (WF-24, etc.). Part #073126 is for the 1/2 hp full rated (WF-2, etc.) or 3/4 hp uprated (WF-23, etc.). Depending on which motor you bought, it certainly could be too small for that impeller. You most likely got the 3/4 hp uprated motor instead of the 3/4 full rated motor.

What is the service factor of the new and old motors?

If the loud noise is still there, do check to make sure you have eyeball fittings on your returns. Almost sounds as if there is not enough back pressure along with the previosly oversized pump. From the sounds of the set-up I'd almost bet a 1/2hp pump is all you need. Hope you can get this resolved soon!

Thanks,

Pool noise problem solved. All eyeballs in. Motor is 3/4 HP with 1.27 SF, 3450 RPM, Pool Motor 1081. Not sure if this is a full rated or not. I thought 1/2 HP would be best as well, but three separate people told me to go with 3/4 HP. I suppose trying the 073126 1/2 HP impeller is way to go???

I will be out for week end. Thanks again for the feedback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.