Help Replace Pentair Multiport Valve

Dec 2, 2012
Greetings,

I had a friend taking care of my pool for a week while out of town and he said he moved the multiport valve and it started to leak. He said he did not move it while pump was running but I think he may have switch it to closed. In most cases I have read this will mess up the spider gasket. Though, I found a large crack in the casing of the multiport valve that is leaking water. I have since ordered an entire replacement valve assembly. While waiting for the valve I was trying to disassemble and remove the old valve from the system. I would rather not cut pipes and add couplings if possible and wanted to see how you guys would tackle this. Attached are some pics of the setup and where I need help. Thanks so much.

20pzsbo.jpg

5xr582.jpg

That's going to be a PITA.
Something to try:
Get a stainless steel hose clamp and wrap around the cracked fitting on the valve. Tighten relentlessly, you might get lucky. Good luck.

stehigs321 said:
Do you think I will need to replace the Jandy Valve and scrap the whole setup leaving the pump and rebuild a new one?
At minimum, you'll have to scrap the Jandy valve and replumb on both sides of it. You'll also have to replumb the other multi port connections (with much swearing and many trips to the hardware store).

Try the clamp. What do you have to loose?

The two ports connecting to the DE filter should be easy though i think. They just screw on. I hope I just have to work on the from pump and to pool plumbing. Can you tell what Jandy valve I need to order. There are no marking on it whatsoever. I think its a 3 way 1 1/2 to 2"? Thanks for any help.

Also, while I'm rebuilding the setup is there anything I should do to make future repair simpler? Easy disconnect unions? Thanks

Qwaxalot said:
stehigs321 said:
Do you think I will need to replace the Jandy Valve and scrap the whole setup leaving the pump and rebuild a new one?
At minimum, you'll have to scrap the Jandy valve and replumb on both sides of it. You'll also have to replumb the other multi port connections (with much swearing and many trips to the hardware store).

Try the clamp. What do you have to loose?

I disagree with having to scrap the Jandy valve, you could get a larger diameter coupler and glue it over the ends of the current coupler after you cut it off. Not sure why your plumbing is so tight together, doesn't leave any room for problems like you have now.

How do you think I can make things easier moving forward? Only thing I can think is to extend pipes upward. They wanted to save space with the setup for sure.

4knights said:
I disagree with having to scrap the Jandy valve, you could get a larger diameter coupler and glue it over the ends of the current coupler after you cut it off. Not sure why your plumbing is so tight together, doesn't leave any room for problems like you have now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you take a picture from farther away? If we see how much room you have and see what the other pipe go to/come from we might suggest a different routing.
To save the Jandy valve, you could cut the 90 out on one side and the 45 out on the other. Then when you remove the multi port from the filter you can unscrew the jandy/PVC connection from the multi port inlet.
The replumb is a matter of giving yourself the needed space by moving some equipment and making sure you add unions to allow working on or removing equipment later.

I was thinking the you could cut the piping on each side of the Jandy valve (if there's enough room) and unscrew the adaptor from the multiport by turning the whole valve. Then you could screw it back into the new valve. Add a couple of unions where you cut the piping.

I would try the clamp idea. Plast-aid injected into the crack with a syringe then tighten the clamp before the plast-aid starts to setup. Excess plast-aid will squeeze out of the crack. If i were to fix it the right way I would probably end up re plumbing everything with room for unions and depending on the price of a multiport valve maybe just changing the filter all together since you are replumbing anyways.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.