Polaris 3900 quit working.

Nov 30, 2012
Hi, I have a http://www.epoolshop.com/polaris3900poo ... parts.aspx

My pump is running and putting out pressure. When I look at the 3900 closer part 8 of the above diagram is spinning but nothing happens.

I did notice that part 25 seems to have a 3 pronged "teeth", but I can't tell if this is just leftover plastic or something that is prone to wear out. Part 8 has grooves where these teeth I think would go and would cause the single wheel to turn.

Is it possible that I just need to replace 25 and I am gtg? The chain drive system is engaged on the other side and I can see no other issues.

I love this forum, I just don't post here because you all have every topic covered so well.

After DB's post I looked at the drawing again and I think you're talking about #8 on the lower right side of the diagram. There are also 2 #8's on the upper left of the daigram. If that's correct, I agree with DB's thinking. It may be the gear in the gearbox. Hopefully it's just the teeth on #25 that's worn off but you need to check the gears in the gearbox closely to make sure there aren't some of them missing.

Are the wheels on the double wheel side turning correctly?

I've had issues with the chain losing tension. None of the wheels are moving at all right now. I may try to take a few links out and see what happens that way. This seems to be a common issue with this thing as well.

I've never been able to wrap my head around what the drive situation is. The gears drive the chain belt, but does the single wheel just go for a ride, or is it also driven by the same chain mechanism?

These systems are hard to test fully when the water is below 50. It was nice when I could work on this thing from the pool chair at 80 while squirting the kids.

Just about done with leaves getting in the pool for the winter. I went ahead and hooked up my hose end thing to gather up what was there so this isn't an emergency or anything at the moment.

Test in on the deck, sitting on a small 2x4 or the like just enough to see if it moves. Point the jet and tail toward the pool, and keep the bag on while putting something on top to cover the water shooting up. Yeah also try removing a link in the chain, and check the gears inside the gearbox. From my experience the teeth on them get worn down.

That really helped dbfan. I couldn't figure out exactly how to debug it from the deck. That method helped so much. I took a link out first and that helped, alot. Everything seems normal now. I did have to change the point of the jet since with it on "track" it was going too straight, but that seems a good thing to me.

Back and running just in time for all the leaves to be gone ;-)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.