water pours out of strainer basket

lew

Nov 29, 2012
Alachua, FL
I just moved into a house with an ag pool, Hayward sand filter and Columbia PMX pump. I took off the cover on the strainer basket and water started flowing out such that I was unable to get the cover back on until the flow was slowed somewhat when my friend put a hand over the (I think) skimmer. I was only able to get the cover on partialloy as the O-ring got squished and now there is a continual low flow out of the strainer. There don't appear to be shutoff valves in the suction and discharge lines. How do I stop the flow so I can properly close the strainer lid? Thanks.

Plug the skimmer and turn the filter's multiport valve to closed. Do this anytime you need to clean the basket. But, don't forget to put it back after you get the lid back on.:)

Shutoff valves can be a blessing and curse. They're a blessing because they allow you to shut off the flow if something starts leaking or you need to perform maintenance on the system. They're a curse because most people use standard ball valves (especially on aboveground pools) and they have a lot of head loss. Ideally you'd want to use full port valves (the hole through the valve is the same size as the pipe) or specialty pool valves which have very low head loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.