New Pool in SE Texas-New Pics

I wanted to share some landscape pics before they succumb to the winter; I'm enjoying the plants as much as the pool!
DSC_3625_zpscde659cc.jpg

DSC_3623_zpsaadedb98.jpg

DSC_3620_zps9a156ff0.jpg

PoolSummer_zps23aae239.jpg

Thank you! You'll be swimming in no time!
...I was wondering, with our heat and long swim-seasons, have you considered a chiller or maybe a DIY spray return? I'm guessing with the dryness of Odessa you could easily cool the water through evaporation much easier than Houston (humidity).

With this years weather (strangely not extremely hot). I had no problems. the water was in low 80's until I heated it to 88. I have so many water features and the white plaster I don't have a problem with too much heat.

Your pool and plants are looking great. I held off on SOD this year, as I may end up concreting the rest of my available back yard for a kitchen/fireplace/etc.

With this years weather (strangely not extremely hot). I had no problems. the water was in low 80's until I heated it to 88. I have so many water features and the white plaster I don't have a problem with too much heat.

Your pool and plants are looking great. I held off on SOD this year, as I may end up concreting the rest of my available back yard for a kitchen/fireplace/etc.
Thanks for the compliments. The wife and I certainly had reservations about the DIY landscaping. We kept thinking we were missing something when we completed it with 1/3 $ cost. Water temp's in the low 80's is perfect; we cant say the same. I'm guessing it's our very high humidity. We just don't get much evaporative cooling from the water-falls. I still like the idea of the chiller, but now on the back burner (A&M will be cutting into my mad-money).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Man, I tell ya, and some folks may not agree with me, but landscaping can make or break the enjoyment of a pool and the whole project in general.

You did an awesome job! The pool AND the landscaping rocks! That is just gorgeous!

I agree with you Divin Dave - there are several amazing pool builds on this forum that after landscaping just went to the next level. I know I would be looking around at my un-landscaped yard thinking about all the things I need to do to finish it instead of completely enjoying the pool. Pragmatic's landscaping pulls the entire natural look together - and it feels relaxing just by looking at the pics - I can only imagine how relaxing it feels in person -at least until that wet pool lab shakes his coat nearby :)

I'm sticking to my guns, only because I had a lot of landscaping ripped out of my yard. If you look at my before pictures, you'll see I had plenty of it. But with landscaping comes bugs (my girlie girls are very scared of wasps and bees) and dirt and leaves, and my pool doesn't like eating that stuff. :D :D :D

Pragmatic, I love the landscaping. I am just completing my pool and am thinking about doing landscaping myself. I too live in Friendswood (Bay Area blvd south of 528).

So would you do it yourself again? If I follow the pictures you have a few helping hands. Mine are too little (I have a 6, 3, and 1 year old) to help.

Did you get anyone to do a design for you or did you plan it all yourself? Any tips?

Hey Jabooh1,
Small world isn't it? We may have been in touch at the BBQ forum?? Thank you and Yes, we would do it again; gluttons for punishment I guess. Perfect timing to get get shrubs/greenery very cheap; I believe you can find 50%-70% off at Houston Garden Centers. We made the design ourselves; this was a great help http://www.houzz.com/photos/landscape Don't get in any hurry and don't get picky on the perfect plants (buy whats available and tollerable). Go to Manvel Stone (way out hiway 6 near 288) for Moss rock by the pallet (it's about $0.14/lb). Bank sand (for drainage) and then top-soil followed by dark mulch (bags) at HD or Lowes to keep from washing. The greenry at the pool edge is by far our favorite (very hardy and looks great). Last but not least, Miracle-Gro every two weeks religiously!!!! Drop me a line anytime! Take care

Very small world!!! I thought I recognized your name, and then definitely recognized your BBQ!

I was thinking about waiting till February/March to do the landscaping but the sand keeps blowing into the pool. I am back washing every 3 days!

Your right shrubs are definitely on sale right now. I will have to look at that website and get ideas. I could do the shrubs and trees now then just put in a little color in spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.