Can anyone tell me about well points and liner float?...

Sep 19, 2007
N. AL
We have a liner pool, new last Sept. We have had a lot of rain lately and last night my girls noticed the liner was "mushy" in spots. I went out and sure enough there was water behind it. The water level in the pool never went above the coping. We have the pool crete on the bottoms and side. We hit no water of any kind when we dug the pool last August. There is no landscaping at the poolside..we went with a 3 foot border of river rock and all our flowers are in decorative planters. We do have a retaining wall on 3 sides with a french drain around all of it. Our concrete deck also has a drain in it all along the retaining wall so no water sits back there.

I called PB and he is coming to look today but told me to fill it to within 1/4in of skimmer. It seems somewhat better this morning but still there. There were some pretty big wrinkles by my deep end return and polaris outpput. PB said that they should disappear as the water goes down. These is one spot on the slope to the deep end that has about 2 foot long wrinkles. Can I brush them out? Is that a problem if they don't come out?

I have read about well points and such..can anyone tell me in more detail what that entails? What is the approximate cost? We poured a lot of extra concrete and filled in the "L" part. Will they have to drill into the concrete? I want to be armed with some info before PB shows up. Thanks for any help!

Console] [/font]

Well points are holes dug a little deeper than the pool, usually around 12" in diameter and lined with a kind of pipe that has lots of holes in it so water can get in. Typically you would have a couple of them spread around the pool. You hook up a sump pump at the bottom of the pipe and pump the water out to somewhere far enough away that it won't come back. That lowers the water table in the area of the pool.

If you only have a problem for a couple of days a year it is often simpler to just raise the water level in the pool as high as you can and wait it out.

PB is going to come out somtime this morning with a pump and put it behind the liner and see what is going on. He mentioned a leak!! He said that or massive surface water. I do not think it has rained that much. We have had pretty consistant rain about 2 times a week for the past 3 months or so..most of the time less than an inch at a time. (We have a raingauge) All I can think is that the concrete deck has a fall to the outside to keep water from going back into the pool, maybe that is running it right at the edge of the pool deck and causing the probs. We have hard "Alabama " red clay that was the majority of our dig. I would not think that would hold that much water.

Hubby is fit to be tied and I don't blame him...you spend all this $$$ on the pool and then something like this. But such is life I guess. Should I keep the kids out while this is going on? I made them get out yesterday and have not let them in today either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.