What would cause Polaris 280 to do this? (video)

May 7, 2010
Dallas, TX
http://www.youtube.com/embed/wymR1w-bjoA

Ignore my 3 year old yelling that he found "dog poo poo" :)

It also will stay near the walls, taking right turns back up the wall more often than it seems like it should.

I am pretty good at fixing this thing, just want to know where to look first. last thing i replaced a few months ago was the piece that holds the backup valve together.

On the backup valve, is water supposed to come out of the relief hole when it's not in use? it's just a little that comes out the same hole it does when it backs up.

From what I see in the video all three wheels are not rotating togather due to worn gears on the drive wheels or the internal feed hose disconnected. The internal feed hose is under the top cover and it directs water to the drive shaft turbine. Or the forward thrust jet located under the sweep hose is in the wrong position it should be in the eleven oclock position

poolsupplysales said:
From what I see in the video all three wheels are not rotating togather due to worn gears on the drive wheels or the internal feed hose disconnected. The internal feed hose is under the top cover and it directs water to the drive shaft turbine. Or the forward thrust jet located under the sweep hose is in the wrong position it should be in the eleven oclock position

I'll check those when i get home. thanks.

The thrust jet is located on the back of the cleaner. It is responsible for the random path of the cleaner. The higher the position the thrust jet is in, the more climbing it will do. The lower it is, the less climbing it will do. 11 o'clock is the factory setting for your Polaris 280. It is not the setting ideal for every pool as each pools shape will vary.

Lower the thrust jet a bit. You do not need to lower is to 10 o'clock, 8 o'clock, 6 o'clock, etc, but rather, I suggest bringing it closer to the middle where it is pointing straight back at you. This is a trial-and-error type of troubleshooting.

FYI, I do not believe the issue to be worn gears or wheels. The cleaner is running as it should be, just staying higher in the pool than desired.

Also, there is a small nut where the tail meets the feed pipe. You can turn this clockwise a bit to lower the water pressure getting to the tail, which will keep this from spraying and swinging as much as it is. This will increase the RPM's a bit also. If the cleaner is spraying very strong out of the pool, you can purchase a hose weight (part #B12).

Thats correct, use the "thrust jet" to adjust the direct the cleaner will take, start with it coming straight out back. Polaris have released a new "tail pro" i think it is called which attaches to the end of the hose and stops it squirting water straight out. Also check you have the correct RPM's which should be 28 - 32, this can be done by holding the 280 under water and counting the revolutions of the wheels while it is running for 15 seconds then times that by 4 and this will give you the correct number. Adjust the rpm's by screwing in or out the large nut at the wall fitting that the hose connects to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.