Replacing pool lights / options / howto?

gwar9999

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
I have 2 lights in my pool/spa and both no longer work so I need to replace the bulbs, at the very least. I pulled the one in the spa out to have a look. The lens says "American Products, Los Angeles". The housing doesn't have any markings. I removed the metal mounting ring from the lens/housing. It housing looks pretty old and the lens is about 10.5 inch across (diameter).

There is a white rubber ring around the lens/housing. I'm not sure how to remove the lens from this. The ring wraps around the lens pretty tightly so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to pry underneath the rubber ring to release the lens and I don't want to force it. I can use some advice in getting to the bulb.

Once I am able to get the bulb, presumably I'll need to find a replacement. However, what would it take to go from single color halogen to a multicolored LED? Do I need all new housing and a new cord run from the switch to the pool/spa? Is this a job for a pool contractor?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 2012-11-24_10-21-00_509.jpg
    2012-11-24_10-21-00_509.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 2012-11-24_10-21-13_897.jpg
    2012-11-24_10-21-13_897.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 171
Its probably an R40 type bulb You need to figure out if you have 120v or 12v hook up. They do sell a special bulb that would change it to LED but I would just change the whole light at that point since what you have is very old and is prone to leak. So I wouldn't want to see you ruin an expensive led bulb as opposed to a rather cheap regular bulb.

Thanks for the quick response, Kevin. I gave up on trying to figure out how to take the lens cover off to do some other chores. I went back out to look at it and it came off without any effort I guess the sun helped dry out the seal so it just came right off and I was able to remove the bulb. It does infact look like an R40 but I'll take it with me to the pool store and get a replacement. Eventually, I'll replace them both with LEDs since it seems like a bigger project than I'm capable of doing myself.

Changing the bulb and replacing the entire light are about the same difficulty. When you replace the bulb it's a good idea to either lube the seal or replace the seal to help ensure no leaks. If you were to replace the whole light fixture with an LED replacement it's just turning off the breaker to the light, undo the wires from the junction box and tying a nylon line to the old light cord and pulling the whole light out of the pool then you attach the new wires to the nylon line and pull it back through and then attach the wires and you are all set.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.