Pool Pros- What do you drive?

msumoose

In The Industry
Apr 19, 2012
I am getting to the point where I am considering a dedicated vehicle for my business and I wanted some opinions. I am currently using my car and the wife's Tahoe but I need something I can carry chemicals in.

So what do you use, and more importantly, why did you choose it.

I have my eye on a Suzuki Carry mini truck, 52 mpg with AC and only about 15k miles for 5 grand ain't bad....

I currently use a 2002 chevy express van 3500 cargo with rhino lining on the floor and one foot up the walls. (used for transport of chemicals and tools, equipment etc.)
I also use a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Pickup with a dumper box that is rhino lined. (used for trash removal and transport of bulky items or equipment)
I never use the pickup for transport of chemicals or normal tools as they are not protected from the elements and lack of security.

When I replace the vans I'm looking into Sprinter vans since they have more head room.

I am not worried about security, I think I will construct a box (or maybe a diamond plate truck box) for tools/etc that I need to keep out of the elements. Most of my bulk chems come in large buckets, so those can stay in a truck bed for the day, until I park in my garage at night.

Do you wish for something more efficient? How much is gas getting to you? That is my main goal (and something reliable and low cost of ownership). If I drive a bit, then it is eating into profit margin, and no one wants to pay a travel fee.

Would you do something different if you had the capability?

I think my mpg is somewhere around 11 or 12. I don't travel more than 45 min or roughly a 10 mile radius. I don't think too much about mpg. If I were to do something different, i'd say I like the head room in the sprinter vans. Also i would spray paint the underneath of the van to prevent rust more often

Yeah, I serve a 60 mile radius, and there are times that I will drive from one end of the radius to the other (120 miles) in a day. I try to group things together, (there are several towns in this area) but there are times that won't work.

One of my most lucrative areas is 47 miles...

We have 2 sprinters. One a 2500 and the other a 3500 dually model. We also have 2 Nissan NV 2500 high top vans and a Chevy express cargo van for use as service/maintenance vehicles. There is also a Ford F150 pickup 4x4 for spa deliveroes. We also have a 14' Isuzu box truck for intercompany deliveries from our main retail store to the satellite locations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.