Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Muriatic Acid.. solar cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Muriatic Acid.. solar cover?

Sorry if this is a stupid question... I need to add some Muriatic Acid. It is ok to peel the solar cover back and at it by the return jet, or should I completely remove the solar cover?

Thanks!
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

2. Back To Top    #2

For most chemicals including chlorine I wouldn't bother removing the cover, but for Muriatic Acid I think you are better off at least removing half of it (folding it back in half towards the shallow end if you are adding the acid at the deep end). Muriatic Acid is exceptionally strong and it will make the pH in the region where you are adding it low for a short while so there's no sense exposing the cover to that -- strong acid is one of the worst things. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but that's what I suggest.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks.. I will remove half the cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal