Best way to winterize Filter/Valve

Nov 19, 2012
I have a Tagelus sand filter with a Pentair Hi-Flow valve. I followed the manual's instructions precisely to winterize the unit. This invlovled depressing the spring and rotating the valve handle to the 'WINTERIZE' position on a rib. It states that this will keep pressure off of the main seal during the winter season.

However, my local pool expert advised that it would be better to leave the valve in a typical position (non-winterized) to avoid wear on the valve's spring.

My question is, which is better and does anyone have experience winterizing with this particular valve? Should the spring indeed wear out, is it easy to just replace the part out without replacing the entire valve? I just purchased my home and I found and old valve left in the basement and the spring was indeed worn.

I'd recommend relieving the pressure off the spider gasket as the mfg suggests. By leaving the spring compressed you're not wearing the spring. I know it's a matter of semantics, but by compressing the spring you're not actually wearing it out. Yes, it may hold "set" after a long time but it's not actually wearing. As JB said, it's easy to replace and less expensive than the spider gasket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.