Using a sand filter without the filter

I think one of the laterals on the sand filter has a crack in it as I'm getting some sand (or what looks like sand looking from outside the pool) by the return.
I poped the multiport valve off the filter over the weekend and did see some sand (only a few grains) at the bottom of the virtical tube.

So I am thinking of taking the sand out when the season ends in 6 months or so and having a good look at what is going on.

So onto the question. Would there be any issues in taking the multi port off the filter, remove the filter out of the way, then put the multiport back on, in recirculate, and let the pump run as needed for turnover until the filter is ready for service again. Leaving the muiltiport suspended by the pipework.

Sidenote: I was amaised how much like a mini sandy rockpool it was like inside the filter, most likly because I havent needed to backwash in a while. Never seen inside one before. I would not have been supprised to see a hermit crab run across the top

Sometimes this is caused by a bad MP valve spider gasket. Inspect it for damage. There are many articles here on how to replace it.

As far as running without the sand filter, I wouldn't think that'd work. As it's not a self contained unit in that regard. Not to mention that your pool isn't going to be filtered, so it's going to get pretty ugly, pretty fast and then you'll end up with an algae bloom from all those organics in there. Chlorine aside, you just won't be able to keep up with the demand.

A little bit of sand at the bottom of the pool, sure beats ending up with a pond. It's the lesser of the 2 evils, ya know?

Once you rule out, or not the spider gasket. If there's still a problem, then stick a cup over a return where you think you see something coming out. Leave it there for a bit and carefully pull it out, checking to see if there's any sand in it.

It sounds like you seriously need to clean you sand bed in your filter anyway. I would do a backwash till she runs clear, then clean and re-settle the sand bed. Link to instructions is in my sig.

Try these things and then see where you're at with it.

Ive got a new spider gasket on order (its a bit sus as the pump is now loosing prime too) and will see how it goes after install. As you suggest it may resolve the sand issue. And at NZ$18 its not a break the bank fix.

I still cant see how runnning a pool without a filter will turn ugly that quick so long as the chemistry is kept in check. Granted it's going to get full of Crud, but otherwise I cant see why it would not be ok for a week or so while the filter was out of commissson.

I wouldn't think a week or so would be the end of the earth so long as your pump runs. Otherwise brush it after each addition of CL to keep the water mixed. I would also net it regularly, more so than usual.
You could even pull some pantyhose over the deck side skimmer basket. Just check it frequently. I suggest 2 pairs.
Also, if you can keep it covered that'll help.

I thought you were talking about running it like that till next summer or something.

Yeah, that's about $15 USD, not a biggie. Beats other prices on things that could go wrong. Check the manual and/or this site to be sure how to install it properly or for tips. Some require tacking it with glue in a bunch of places. I would recommend a tiny bit of silicone RTV for that. The stuff used in automobiles to seal mating joints between parts.

Your pump is loosing prime? To find out if it's the spider, spray some foaming shaving cream around the MPV on the sand filter. See where she's drawing in air. Use it anywhere else you deem fit too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.