Heater not warming water?

tim1

Apr 26, 2010
I just got a 2 person hot tub that I was told the heater/pump is not warming the water at all. The control box is removed from the tub and I have opened it. I am trying to figure out where to start and what I should be testing or looking for that may be causing the problem. The control box had 220v coming in and the wires that plug into it show they are 110v. Here are the details on the control box:
SPA Builders
ORD/Build 00034809/00240011/9L2131HJ12B
Product 3-70-0140 Volts 110v/220v
Model AP1400#5 AMPS 20/50
Serial No 220327 062 Hertz 60

I am hoping that I can test and fix the problem without having to fill the tub, then drain it to repair the problem.

I have gotten a few looks here but no replies. I took out the control box and have tested everything inside it, it all appears to be funtioning correctly. The heater is in a black pump housing and I am thinking of trying to take it apart today to access the heating element. Will this screw up the heat pump or should I be OK taking it apart?

You should be able to test the heating elements if they're resistance strips using an ohm meter without removing them. Turn the power off and read the resistence across the terminals. It should read almost zero. There should also be some high temp cutouts in the control circuit that could be open.

I finally got the heater removed. I have tested for resistance between the two terminals and got a reading of 10.2 ohms. I then placed one lead on a terminal and the second on the sheath and and the ohm reading keeps climbing. So my guess is that the heater is not working correctly, am I right thinking this? Or am I doing something incorrectly?

Thank you for jumping onboard and giving me a helpful hand.

Those readings sound like a good element so I'd start looking at the cutouts and then the controls.

When you say the reading keeps climbing does it reach infinity? It should be open between the core and the sheath.

Bama, I took the heating element to a pool store yesterday nad this lady tested it. She got a reading of 10.4 from wire conection to wire connection. When she tested connection to sheath she got no reading at all. They are suppose to have a tech coming out my way either Tues. or Weds. he called me and siad he will check the entire system for me and tell me what is wrong and what I need to replace. I would have just bought the heater but I cant afford to just throw money at a unknown problem. I will keep you posted on what he finds. Thanks for your help so far.

I got a pool company out here yesterday to check out my hot tub heater. The guy found the relays were stuck, he got them working correctly before leaving. It cost me less then half what a new heater would have cost. Now its time to start tearing into the tub shell and completely replace it so I can set it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.