WOW! Talk about high CCs!!

y_not

Jul 24, 2012
Redmond, OR
I needed to clean out my "pool bucket" that I use for storing small toys in after they dry as well as for bucket tests when needed ot just mostly for science.
Well, I let it sit outside and get all nasty with the bad weather, got some leaves in the bottom and the rain water that collected became rather gross!!

So I rinsed it out, meh... not clean enough I decided.
So I put about an inch or 2 of tap water in this 5 gallon bucket, put less than a splash of bleach in there and let her sit for about a week.

All the staining from the tannin of the leaves went bye bye and it smelled fantastic and fresh bleachy smelling. But not too strong.

So I went and got a white washcloth that had been used for dishes, sitting on the drain board. It looked and smelled clean, so I didn't bother rinsing it.
I proceeded to wipe the bucket down, inside and out with the remaining bleach solution. WHOAAAA!! Can you say chloramine smell?? WOW!!
Reminded me of a public swimming pool.

So I was very curious and decided to test this now white cloudy water.
Did an OTO test to verify that it wasn't out of range of the FAS-DPD test. I got a medium dark orange. So I proceeded with the FAS-DPD test, knowing it'd be high.
Boy oh boy! Had to use 2 scoops and took 95 drops, the 96th had no effect. Picked it up and held it to the kitchen light in front of a the white wall as a background. Nope, no pink, just muddy brown water.
So I set it back down on the SS and spun her some more, turned a bit pink. So I added 2 more drops, 3rd did nothing. So I repeated this once more and still had to add 2 more drops to remove the pink.
That gives me a ppm of 49.5 FC. The water is now a somewhat muddy brown, and still cloudy. No longer white and cloudy, but dirty, like earthen dirt.

Then I did the CC test.
Turned pink within 1 drop. HAHA
Finished adding the 5 total needed drops, then proceeded to titrate that to clear.
I got a CC reading of 21.5ppm. OUCH!!!
That's A LOT OF CCs!!!

Goes to show how much is in a public pool, that STENCH in the air. Just like what I smelled in that bucket.
That rag must have been nasty dirty!! Just because it looks clean and smells pretty clean. Doesn't mean it is. YIKES!! :shock:

Well, that's it. Just thought I'd report on my fun experiment. Didn't want to blow that much reagent, but it was fun. In the name of science and curiosity. :stirpot:

Well since my doggy gets to "help" wash the plates I always add a splash of bleach to my water. (I do warn everyone that comes to eat at my house about the doggy wash. I have paper plates if they have a problem with it.)

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.