Cl Testing Reagents and Supplys

I have a supply issue with my Cl testing reagents.

I've started to run low on the R-0870 that came with the K-2006 kit I had imported. The place I got the kit from can get the replacement reagents, but at a 500ml (16oz?) volume. It will take a couple of months to get here via sea freight. The origional test is great and works well, I have no issues with it.

However they do stock the reagents R-0001 & R-0002, which comes as part of the K-2005 kit. So replacement supply is nice and easy when I need to.

Is there any real reason that I cant change to the same tests that the supplier uses? To me it's cheeper, easier to get and I dont have to store large amounts of cemicals in the fridge waiting to be used, or thrown out and gives the same(enough) results that I have now.

With the swim season about to start here (soon I hope) I dont want to be without some sort of decent testing ability.
Neil

My question around CYA is directed to towards understanding if you could maintain the pool with a lower CYA level and test within the limitations of the standard DPD not FAS-DPD. To do that you need to be around 5ppm FC max and your min needs to fall within the 1-5ppm which you can do with 20-40ppm of CYA (20-30 seems better since you have a little more wiggle room) in the water and still keep algae at bay. This would allow you to test for CC's and FC and validate your within the range of the test and then use your FAS-DPD test only when you need to shock or need higher precision CC numbers etc.

Since your refills are going to be large - maybe you could find someone else in your area who would sare with you - then you could part out the supplies and leverage the cost advantages of not each individually buying too large an amount.

duraleigh
As requested, I have put my location on my sig :)

My current CYA is sitting at about 30 after bringing it down from about 100 when I took the place over. That was achieved by just putting the downpipe into the pool at waiting. (It was winter after all.) So my Cl I'm using are 2-4 atm with 12 being shock based on the tables here.

I was thinking about losing the testing range last night while I was trying to get to sleep after posting the original question, and remembered I did read a thread about diluting the test sample by 50% to an approx measurement of Cl levels when testing at high ranges. This may assist in the times where I do need to go to a high shock Cl level so I know approx where I am at.

As for sharing testing reagents, the misses is friends with someone who has a pool, but they are currently poolstored and I have not had a chance to have a chat to them about pool maintenance, so at this time any bulk reagents I would have to store/use myself. (Unless there is someone else from Auckland/Whangarei that has a pool on here that I can talk to. PM Me.)

Diluting your pool water sample with distilled water only works to a point. You get 2x CL measurement but 1/2 the precision. So you get a 2-10 FC level with a minimum granularity of of 2ppm for both FC and CC's. It helps you get close but not get the real precision you need. If your pool stays pristine and never needs to go through the shock process - you're probably able to use the DPD test just fine - but when you need to shock - you need the FAS-DPD to really do justice to the method.

East_Akl_Neil said:
So what I should do is get the DPD test now, and reserve what little of the FAS-DPD test I have for when it is required at higher levels.

You got it. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer - I should have just said that at some point! LOL!

I was trying to figure out how to preserve what you had left to keep you from using it up. You eventually will need more - and maybe by then you'll need more of a lot of things and a new kit will be in your future and this won't matter. The R0871 does last a while from what I have read so I don't think it would be a bad idea to get more than you think you need - but budgeting is always a consideration.

I'll do that then. I've got a day off work Monday week so will pick up some the DPD test then. I'll talk to them about the FAS-DPD test while I am there to see what can be done.

Replacing the kit here is not cheep, it cost me just over NZ$200 (~US$160) to order it in and everything else (apart from CYA Test but they have the reagents for that) is plentiful in the kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.