Water won't move through filter at near freezing temp

iam4iam

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2012
Johnson City, TN
Tonight is the first night I've had to turn my pump on to avoid freeze damage. It has only been running about 20 minutes every 3-4 days, since I'm only running it when adding bleach at this point. When I turned it on tonight, the water didn't move and I thought I might have waited too long, because the water didn't move! Finally, after several minutes of near panic, I decided to switch the filter to recirculate and the water is moving fine when bypassing the filter. Is this normal? Should I expect to have to bypass the filter in sub-freezing temps when I'm only running the pump to prevent ice damage? I guess I'll put it back on filter tomorrow during the day to see what happens. It's supposed to be in the upper 50's.

No, it's not normal, but I'd bet if it was ice that the water flowing on recirculate would have cleared it after a few minutes unless it had been frozen for days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.