2 speed pump wiring question

G

I have a 15 year old Blue Heaven pool. It had a 2 speed 2.5hp pump now it's a 2.0hp. The pump and Jandy P-Link dual timer went bad at the same time. Insurance paid a guy to replace the pump but they would not touch the timer. After the pump and timer was replaced. I got up the next morning to check every thing out. the high speed kicks on for 2 hours then the low speed comes on. As soon as the low speed comes on the motor growls. They thought it was the new motor and so they changed it. The problem is still there so I am switching the timer manually. From what we have worked out both sides of the motor high/low are coming on at the same time. The wiring has been checked by the guy that replaced the pump motors and found nothing a miss. Well it has come down to me and my pool guy working this out. What I want to know is on the back we pulled the inspection plate on the motor. The lugs read 1 2 3or4. What is it #1 common #2 High #3or4 Low? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

I am assuming this is a 230 volt motor.

One leg of the voltage from the timer goes to the common. Then from the speed switch/timer you only supply the other leg of the voltage to either the high or the low terminal.

Make sure that the high and low terminal never get power at the same time. And make sure you are not somehow sending the same phase/leg of the 230v to both the common and one of the speed terminals.

There are a few ways to wire in the timers. You could have the common leg not on a timer at all and then have the other leg going through the timer and speed selector ... but that means one leg is always live in the motor.

What timer/controller are you using?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

What is the model / manufacturer of the motor?

Did the impeller get changed when the motor was replaced?

What was the old motor's model / manufacturer and what was its service factor compared with the service factor of the new model.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply to my post. The new motor is a Advantage pond and pool pumps. The old motor was a Hayward. The impeller is fine.
Can you or some tell me what lug 1 lug 2 lug 3or4 stand for on the back of the motor? That is the most important thing at this point so I can check the wiring.

There should be a data plate on the motor itself. There should be a wiring diagram on the data plate. If you can post a pic of the plate we can help. Mfg's change wiring configurations so we need to see the diagram in order to get it correct. A model number off the motor might help if the mfg supplies a wiring diagram on the web.

Sorry I misread your post. Did not realize you were trying to id what the numbered lugs were.

I have a guess, but picture might help.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

2012111409511750.jpg

2012111409535632k.jpg

20121114095545941.jpg

20121114095533243.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.