CYA test ?

nomad26

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 2, 2012
I just drained my fiberglass pool to remove all the CYA at the end of summer . I have been using a frog automatic chlorinator in the past . I thought I would use a couple of Frog chlorine paks to bring the CYA from 10 after the drain up to 50 and then turn it off and use chlorine beach and be done with the Frog system . I only used 3/4 of a pak and the CYA levels are up to 50 already in about 3 months time . My tests show 50 on the Taylor kit and 34 on my Color Q water analyzer , 34 seems correct .

I am wondering if the CYA test is affected by temperature ?

That maybe why I am getting increased CYA levels so quickly because the water is 58 degrees ?

I called Taylor they said no, water temperature does not effect the test

I took the Frog Pak out and will keep testing the CYA to keep an eye on it. I surely don't want to drain it again so soon.

Anyone know any different about water temperatures effecting CYA tests ?

The CYA test is +/-10ppm accuracy so 34 vs 50 is that that large a variance. That said, why do you feel 34 is any more correct than the 50 black dot reading? Perhaps the color Q test is affected by water temp? You can also reperform the black dot test multiple time with the same sample and avg out your readings. You can also order 50ppm CYA test solution from tftestkits.net to ensure you are taking the reading correctly.

To be sure, pull another sample and bring it indoors and let it come up to room temp and retest.

The reason why I thought the 34 was correct is just a guess that the levels should have not risen that fast. Just a guess. I am doing a test with the water at room temperature like you said . I will post back to let you know what the results are. Bottom line is I don't think I will be using the Frog anymore . I am guessing you can never tell how much CYA are in Trichlor tablets or these Frog Paks . Good reason not use them .

I tested the water at room temperature and the results were the same 50 CYA .
I am glade I caught this before the CYA levels went higher and I had to drain again.
I am surprised the Frog PAK was contributing that much CYA as I had the dial on the Frog at 3.5 which is low.
I expected it to take a least 6 months to a year to raise the CYA levels.
King technology recommends that you perform a partial drain every year with the Frog .
Well, I am done with the Frog .
I will manually add liquid chlorine until I find a better way to cut down the maintenance of adding liquid Chlorine.

Thanks to all of you and this great site I have just learned that this Frog could have been adding way to much CYA all these years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.