Best way to add granulated CYA?

As far as I am aware, and some other experts will chime in, but I believe the idea is to get the granular product stuck in your filter, then slowly it is disolved and released, if you just poured it into your pool, it would continue to circulate or rest on the bottom until disolved.

Hope I am right on this.

I use cheap knee-high stockings from the grocery store for this. (39 cents per pair). I can normally fit around 4 pounds of CYA in one stocking.

I fill the stocking up, tie the stocking to the end of a pole, and dangle it in front of a return. The movement of the water by the return normally disolves it all in around 3.5 - 4 hours.

Sorry to bust a myth but CYA is very slow dissovling. It might appear to dissolve in a few hours but it's really just dispersing in the water and it can actually take up to a week and this is confirmed by testing the level. It is not uncommon for the CYA to disappear from a sock but it does not show up in the water for several days. It's still getting caught in the filter and slowly dissolving.
The EASY way to add CYA is:
1. Clean your filter if it needs it since you won't clean it for a week after you add it.
2. Pour it into the skimmer slowly with the pump running and run the pump 24/7 for the next 24-48 hours.
3. Test your CYA a week later.

pooladdict said:
As far as I am aware, and some other experts will chime in, but I believe the idea is to get the granular product stuck in your filter, then slowly it is disolved and released, if you just poured it into your pool, it would continue to circulate or rest on the bottom until disolved.

Hope I am right on this.
EXACTLY right! :-D

Damian said:
The movement of the water by the return normally disolves it all in around 3.5 - 4 hours.

Keep in mind that the CYA may not really dissolve completely, even if it vanishes from the sock. The CYA crystals break down into pieces small enough to get through the sock but they are often still in a very fine sand like consistency and not completely dissolved.

Is there a problem adding CYA to the skimmer if I have a heat pump hooked up after my pump and filter? If the CYA gets stuck in the filter, after it dissolves it will be flowing through my heat pump - wondering if this will be corrosive?

Randy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is not a problem. CYA doesn't have that low a pH. It is around 4. For perspective, orange juice has a pH of around 3.5, tomato juice around 2.5, and diet soda around 2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.