Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to add granulated CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to add granulated CYA?

I put some in the skimmer, but I know some of it goes through the skimmer basket to the filter basket. Should I be putting this stuff in something? or is it cool for it to go through the pump?
    Marc

15x33, 13k, AGP, vinyl, 3/4 HP Pump, Sand Filter, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

As far as I am aware, and some other experts will chime in, but I believe the idea is to get the granular product stuck in your filter, then slowly it is disolved and released, if you just poured it into your pool, it would continue to circulate or rest on the bottom until disolved.

Hope I am right on this.

3. Back To Top    #3

I use cheap knee-high stockings from the grocery store for this. (39 cents per pair). I can normally fit around 4 pounds of CYA in one stocking.

I fill the stocking up, tie the stocking to the end of a pole, and dangle it in front of a return. The movement of the water by the return normally disolves it all in around 3.5 - 4 hours.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Two very fine posts from pooladdict and Damian (welcome, Damian).

Short and concise and very accurate. We need more posts like that!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    sweet, thanks for the advice.
    Marc

6. Back To Top    #6
    Sorry to bust a myth but CYA is very slow dissovling. It might appear to dissolve in a few hours but it's really just dispersing in the water and it can actually take up to a week and this is confirmed by testing the level. It is not uncommon for the CYA to disappear from a sock but it does not show up in the water for several days. It's still getting caught in the filter and slowly dissolving.
    The EASY way to add CYA is:
    1. Clean your filter if it needs it since you won't clean it for a week after you add it.
    2. Pour it into the skimmer slowly with the pump running and run the pump 24/7 for the next 24-48 hours.
    3. Test your CYA a week later.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by pooladdict
    As far as I am aware, and some other experts will chime in, but I believe the idea is to get the granular product stuck in your filter, then slowly it is disolved and released, if you just poured it into your pool, it would continue to circulate or rest on the bottom until disolved.

Hope I am right on this.
    EXACTLY right!

8. Back To Top    #8
    good thing I did it the easy way. will test again next week. yesterdays CYA test was to low to read, the water clouded up a little but I could still see the dot after using the entire solution.
    Marc

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian
    The movement of the water by the return normally disolves it all in around 3.5 - 4 hours.
    Keep in mind that the CYA may not really dissolve completely, even if it vanishes from the sock. The CYA crystals break down into pieces small enough to get through the sock but they are often still in a very fine sand like consistency and not completely dissolved.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Best way to add granulated CYA?

Is there a problem adding CYA to the skimmer if I have a heat pump hooked up after my pump and filter? If the CYA gets stuck in the filter, after it dissolves it will be flowing through my heat pump - wondering if this will be corrosive?

Randy

11. Back To Top    #11
    It is not a problem. CYA doesn't have that low a pH. It is around 4. For perspective, orange juice has a pH of around 3.5, tomato juice around 2.5, and diet soda around 2.