Help! Looked like I had a small crack behind tile...

brian987

LifeTime Supporter
[attachment=0:229za764]photo.JPG[/attachment:229za764][attachment=1:229za764]photo-1.JPG[/attachment:229za764]We knew we had a leak over the summer because we were adding water too often. We paid for a leak detection so we could know for sure where to begin...after all, we just bought this place about 6 months ago and the previous owner said the re-plaster job was still under warranty. The leak guy showed me where we had trouble, but know I am very handy around the house, admitted if it were his, he would probably just repair it himself since it didn't appear to be that bad. He told me how...I felt confident...he left. Fast forward to this past weekend...since our weather has cooled, we have had to add water daily. I figured that the contracting of surfaces was probably expanding my crack...so decided it was time to deal with this. Upon removing the tile from around the "cracked" area, this is what I uncovered! Behind the tile was a thin layer of mortar, and behind that ...broken concrete that had sand pushed between the pieces. Someone had apparently attempted to
"repair" this issue before...or cover it up until they could sell the home. Regardless...I am very good working with tools and have just finished ripping out and adding back a complete master bath including plumbing and elec. Is this a repair I could handle? If so, how do I take care of this so it never returns, nor continues to deteriorate? I will attempt to attach a pic or two. Sorry...the pics are upside down now.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 36
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 36
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.