Rain and cold weather.....I've about had it!!!

May 10, 2008
Illinois
Okay, this post is nothing more than a rant....
I live in southern Illinois and have yet to get into the pool this year.
Normally we are swimming by the 5th of May (with solar cover and heaters) but this year the weather simply will not break.
We have been running anywhere from 10 to 15 degrees below normal and every other day it rains. For those of you with solar heaters you know that rain/cold does not equal swimming weather.
According to the most recent weather forecasts we are supposed to have some 70+ degree weather for the next 4 or 5 days but guess what.......yep, chance of rain nearly every day.
I absolutely live for the summer months.
If it's under 85 degrees I'm simply not happy and this year we've been closer to 55 than 85. How is everyone else faring this spring?
Even though I can't swim yet, I'm hoping that others are getting to enjoy their pool.
Please list location and pool temps if possible.
Okay, rant over.
Dave

No, Dave. I think I'll rant right along with you!! :lol:

I just built my pool so I haven't even been in it yet! I've only cleaned it because like you said...it has rained about every other day here as well! My pool is around 70. I'm about tired of just walking around looking at it. After a Margaritaville Friday one of these days I might just have to jump in for the heck of it!! :shock: :shock:

It sure has made me do some googling for pool heaters, that's for sure! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that thinks this cool Spring thing has gone on long enough!! :wink:

Karen

Hey Dave,

Water cool here, too. We were up to almost 79 last week when a cool thing w/wind came thru and knocked us back to 72 and now back up to 75-ish. Still waiting to get in!! No heater or blankie!

But the water looks great! :wink:

Well, it sounds as if I'm not alone on this one.
I just checked the long range forecast and we are SUPPOSED to have 9 days straight of low 70's to low 80's with only a day or two of clouds, and/or rain. If this actually happens we might be in the pool within a week.
On a good sunny day we can gain 6 degrees with the solar running. I usually lose 1 or 2 degrees overnight for a net gain of 4 or 5 degrees.
The only thing that worries me is that the long range forecast changes daily right now. One day they will show we are going to have a couple of 85 degree days in a row and the next day it will show 65 on those same days. This has been one screwed up year so far.
Anyway, good luck to you all. I live in a farming community so not getting in the pool is pretty much small worries in this area right now.
Everyone have a great weekend.
Dave

Dave,
I live at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri and the weather here has been about the same as yours...just got my pool filled with water for the first time a couple of weeks ago and the water temp is at 64 right now (got heater but no propane hooked up yet).
I was raised in Southern Illinois (West Frankfort) and I would guess that the wet/cold spring has really hurt the farming community

My pool should be 10 degrees warmer than it is. I don't think there is any way we'll be swimming Memorial Day. Some friends have a graduation/pool party planned for their daughter a week from tomorrow. Their heater is only 60,000BTU, so I doubt they will have very many takers on the swimming. It's supposed to get up into the mid-80s next week, but it will still be getting into the 50s at night.

It was a beatiful day today here in Tinley Park, Illinois. But, midway through the day, the wind blew in and we got rain, rain, rain!!! Anyway, the pool looks great -- I just bought a Pool Rover Junior and put it to use for the first time today. It did an okay job, but I was expecting more. Maybe the dirt on the bottom of the pool was frozen solid -- but we stirred it up a little bit and it did vacuum most of the dirt up. I cleaned the bag and we'll give it another try again tomorrow.

Here's to good hot weather!!! Have a great weekend!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can relate. We ran the heater for 18 hours to get the pool temp from 51 to 87! Swam for two days... it then rained and the temp dropped to 60.. eeek. Of course, the heater is now off and I am sure the gas bill will not be pretty. But seeing my kid and her friends swim in the pool for the first time was priceless!

If it gets to 70 F here today we'll be lucky. In past years my beans were sprouting by this time and I was getting ready to harvest peas. This year? Haven't even planted yet.

The dogs have been in the pool but the water has not yet reached 65 F. Brrrrr.

AnnaK

Well guys, even though it wasn't pretty I was in the pool on Sunday....
I pulled the solar cover and started the vacumming process and just couldn't handle the nasty looking stuff on the far side.
Well I went a few feet down the stairs.....wasn't too bad....went a couple of more steps.....still wasn't unbearable and finally took the plunge and got that junk off of the bottom.
The water temp on Sunday was 70. The water temp today (Monday) was 66. That's how it's been all spring....up and down.
We are supposed to have mid 70's the rest of the week and in the 80's by the weekend. I'm truly hoping for the chance to get into mid 80's water by the weekend. It all depends on if we can get some good sunshine during the week. So far the forecast looks favorable.
All in all the long term forecast looks good. For the next two weeks we have several days forecasted in the upper 80's. Of course this IS southern Illinois so that could change by tomorrow morning.
Even though we're not quite there, we are getting close. Just the thought of it makes things look a little better.
Good luck to you all for warm weather and sunny days.
Dave

I live just south of St. Louis and we've got our water holding around 74 degrees in the deep end. This is with a solar cover at night and uncovering everyday before going to work. This weekend we are supposed to have a few days in the 80's. First day in the pool was April 20th (just for show). It was cold!! Now bearable but not yet what I would call comfortable.

Wow, just wow.

I live in Canada, with an unheated inground pool.

I went swimming last year when it was 60. Most of the year it was about 75, got up to 80 once and I thought it was too warm!

We have no AC though, so I like it cold. Around 70-75 is perfect, a 30 minute swim, and you'll be cold for a good 3 hours, perfect to get to sleep on those humid nights when it stays above 90.

I am in Central Ontario, and opened end of April when we had that warm spell. Haven't been in yet though. :( Pool was at 60 for a lONG time, then we had nice weather last week and hit 70 on Friday. But due to the cold and rain over the long weekend, I'm back down to 64. Should be warm this weekend, hopefully I can get some heat into it. Been itching to get in!

WooHoo!
Today we FINALLY hit water temp of 74 and tomorrow is supposed to be mid 80's and full sun. We should be up to about 80 by tomorrow night.
My 7 year old and I did brave the water on Memorial day at 72 degrees but I can't say that it was pleasant. She seemed to like it but the old man was about to freeze solid.
The forecast for the next 15 days is temps in the 80's and 90's with quite a few days of sun. It really looks as if the swimming season has FINALLY started in southern Illinois (albeit nearly a month later than normal).
I sincerely hope the rest of you are having similar good luck.
Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.