HIGH PRESSURE after cleaning DE FILTER - POOL CLOUDY GREEN

Jul 1, 2009
Hello, I have no idea what is going on with my pool. Any help would be appreciated. Spending a fortune on my pool with no improvements.

I own a 26,000 Gal Pool with a large Haward DE Filter.

The pool has been perfectly clean for 3 years, but we have a new baby and ignored the pool, not needing to use it. In August I forgot to Chlorinate the pool for 3 weeks, lifted the cover and noticed the pool was turning green, and the pool cleaner was stuck not cleaning the pool. I first cleaned the filter in September and the pool was turning clear, then it went back to green in October. I dumped 2 liters of Algecide and about 6 galons of Liquid Chlorine in the pool two weeks ago, which turned the pool from Dark Green to very light green / very cloudy. I cleaned the filter quickly today (disassembled and hosed down filters) (the pool filters both times looked like they were covered in BRIGHT GREEN MUSH) and poured 5 cups of DE into the skimmer with the motor on. The Filter before cleaning was at 40 PSI, after cleaning was at @14 PSI. I poured 1 Gallon of Liquid Chlorine in the pool with about 12 oz of 20% Algecide in the pool and 1 qt of pool charifier. After 8 hours I noticed the pool filter pressure was back up to 34 PSI and pool still looked very cloudy with a light green hue color.

What is going on with my pool? I read about using detergents on the filters, is that what I should also be doing? Do I need to clean the filters several times to get all the particles out of the pool (is that normal)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, i have all ready spent about $180 this month on chemicals with nothing to show for it.

Chris J.

Re: HIGH PRESSURE after cleaning DE FILTER - POOL CLOUDY GRE

Start in Pool School. The link is in the upper right.

It sounds like the pool is full of algae, and the filter is doing just what it's supposed to be doing - filtering stuff out. You need to perform the shock process properly, so the algae stops growing, and then eventually the filter will be able to get ahead of it. I see a lot of bleach and a lot of backflushing in your future.

Please read Pool School carefully so that you fully understand the importance of testing and the shock process. Ultimately it will save you a lot of money and frustration.

Don't buy any more algaecide. It's better as a preventative than a cure. Bleach is what you need.

Thank you. Today the pressure dropped down to about 20 PSI. The Pool School was educational. My biggest issue was I would take care of the pool on the weekends but ignore on the weekdays and the algea would return (FIRST MISTAKE). So far I have put 2 Gal of Liquid Chlorine in the pool, checking every few hours to ensure that there is FC in the pool, Lowered the PH which was at 7.8 to 7.6, stabalizer is ok, hardness is high but ill worry about that later after the pool turns green. I am also backwashing the pool each time I decide to put in chlorine to help get rid of what ever junk is in the filter. So far there is still some bright green water pours out of the top filter air release valve, but pool is looking non-green finally, just cloudy.

Check if there is still FC in the pool is not enough ... you want to ensure that you maintain the FC at the shock level as consistantly as possible. If you are letting it drop low, then the algae will be growing again.

Post up all the specific test results you have and what you are using to get them.
Realize now that if your FC > 10ppm, then the pH test is not reliable and will read higher than reality.

If you do not have the FAS-DPD chlorine test, then the shocking process and confirming that you are done (via the OCLT) is just not really possible.

Thanks everyone for your assistance and support. I feel so stupid in the amount of money i wasted on the pool when I could have so easily fixed it for so much cheaper. It is so nice to have a clear pool now after 2 months of having a swamp in my backyard. The Pool school was the greatest help, I was so close to wasting money again on a pool man, but now after this experiance I can see how easy it is to maintain a pool, but just be dilligent and not niglect your pool. My pool is looking good, needing some higher FC, Hardness is high but im hoping some winter california rain might help lower the TH with fresh water, and TA is high but I am gonna add some more acid to lower the ph some more which in turn might help get the TA lower as well.

Here is my pool chemistry:
11/03/12 11/17/12
Total Hardness: 1000 high 1000 high
Total Chlorine: 0 low 1 ok
Free Chlorine: 0 low 1 ok
PH: 8.0 high 7.8 ok
Total Alcalinity: 160 high 150 high
Stabalizer: 150 high 50 ok
Color: Green/cloudy Clear

CJacksonLASD said:
My pool is looking good, needing some higher FC, Hardness is high but im hoping some winter california rain might help lower the TH with fresh water, and TA is high but I am gonna add some more acid to lower the ph some more which in turn might help get the TA lower as well.

11/03/12 11/17/12
Ignore total hardness it means nothing in the scheme of things.

FC isn't a little low it is VERY low. Minimum is around 7 or perhaps 10 with a stabilizer (CYA) OF 150. keeping the chlorine between 11-18 is more or less where you need to bee right now.

TA and pH are high but the plan you have is right, dilution from rain and acid should help TA and maintaining the pH should hello with that.

But the biggie its the stabilizer. This needs to be at or below 50 unless you have a SWG. You are going to need to change a lot of water to fix this if it is 150, now or in the Spring. Having CYA that high puts most of your chlorine in an inactive status that makes it ineffective vs. algae. If it is 50 the you are in better shape, and the FC levels I gave above are wrong.

Sent via Tapatalk...

CJacksonLASD said:
Thanks everyone for your assistance and support. I feel so stupid in the amount of money i wasted on the pool when I could have so easily fixed it for so much cheaper. It is so nice to have a clear pool now after 2 months of having a swamp in my backyard. The Pool school was the greatest help, I was so close to wasting money again on a pool man, but now after this experiance I can see how easy it is to maintain a pool, but just be dilligent and not niglect your pool. My pool is looking good, needing some higher FC, Hardness is high but im hoping some winter california rain might help lower the TH with fresh water, and TA is high but I am gonna add some more acid to lower the ph some more which in turn might help get the TA lower as well.

11/03/12 11/17/12
Those look like Pool Store results to me.

And if the pool is still green and cloudy, you need to continue the shock process. Before I make any suggestions, though, I must ask: How did the CYA level drop so much? Did you drain a bunch? If so, the CH should have gone down some, too. Or are you relying on the pool store?

First you need an accurate CYA reading. If it's in triple digits, you'll want to drain and refill some water. Then you should add acid to get pH to about 7.2/7.3 And then, assuming you have an accurate CYA reading, adjust the FC level to whatever shock level is for that CYA. And keep FC at that level by replenishing it every couple hours until the pool is clear, and it passes both the CC and overnight drop tests.

You can't do any of this without your own proper test kit. I recommend a speedstir, too. It makes a HUGE difference in the CH test, which is especially critical for us SoCal folks. I currently have hardness about 825, and I can hardly wait until the next rainstorm.

How have you in the past added chlorine to the pool?? Do you use chlorine tabs and/or granulated shock? The test results are very inaccurate at very best.

I just have to agree that your best path forward would be getting one of the recommended test kits and then trusting yourself instead of the pool store results.

Only then would I trust the levels enough to start making changes.

Although having FC that low is quickly going to result in more problems.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.