Draining an inground pool

Nov 9, 2012
I haven't done any treatment or filtering to the water in my Sylvan-brand (concrete) pool since early August, and it's time to close it for the season. The water is near-black and the pool is filled with leaves from our heavily-treed yard. We already know we don't plan to use the pool at all in 2013 and we may or may not use the pool in 2014. What I would like to do is, drain the pool completely and get all the debris out. I've read that in certain kinds of pools (concrete or fiberglass) you can't drain them without first setting up some heavy-duty wooden bracing, because the whole pool, if emptied, can tend to bulge, crack, or rise up out of the ground.

This is not a new pool -- it's at least 20 years old.

My questions are:

1) Am I ok to just drain the pool empty wihtout installing any temporary support bracing, and walk into the pool and remove the leaves and debris? - and -
2) If I drain the pool, blow out the lines, install gizmos, etc., can I just leave the pool empty (but covered with a spring-loaded safety cover) for the winter?

Thank you

Welcome to TFP.

There's no way for us to answer either of those questions without more info. Like where you're located, how high is the water table where you are, how much snow do you get a year, and what's the surface coating of the pool?

Thanks for your reply and the welcome, Dave!

I'm in Lincroft, NJ. We generally get a 5 snow storms per year, about 6 inches each on average.

Honestly not sure what the surface coating is. I've attached a picture to hopefully help.

In my opinion, it's a very bad move to leave a pool empty for any extended period of time, even if the water table is low.
I would suggest, instead, that it would be more prudent to winterize it and cover it, without draining; understanding that when you do want to recommission the pool it will need to be drained and cleaned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.