PVC, PVC Schedule 40 or Flex?

Sch 40 is the standard, because it is the strongest. It is tried and true, and lasts for decades if installed correctly! Flex is convenient for the builder, but many times causes problems down the road.

Never seen black PVC, at least not around here...black pipe is either ABS (rigid) or poly (flexible).

Melt In The Sun said:
Sch 40 is the standard, because it is the strongest. It is tried and true, and lasts for decades if installed correctly! Flex is convenient for the builder, but many times causes problems down the road.

Never seen black PVC, at least not around here...black pipe is either ABS (rigid) or poly (flexible).
Thanks. PB was probably referring to poly...

So if he uses poly and flex is that ok?

I'd also opt for rigid pvc or poly. Flex is just more convenient for the builder but often only used in the tight radius for spa plumbing and encased in gunite, otherwise I would minimize flex pvc use.

I would use the black poly. Up north thats the prefered pipe for ground that freezes deeper. Even if sme water is left in the pipe, it will expand enough to not burst. Shifting ground wont hurt it either. PVC will shatter to easily. Thats why pool builders and irrigation guys in cold climates use black poly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everything has it's pros and cons.
poly is durable but can't be glued so the mechanical joints could leak, but the pipe can be curved when warm to achieve a large radius curve.
PVC is very common, rigid, glued joints are good but it can shatter if something happens since it's brittle compared to poly.
Flex PVC, glued joints and is the most flexible which will lessen the need for joints. Not as tough as poly or PVC for the most part. (But if you are going to smash each one with a hammer side by side, flex will win. A standard razor blade can cut flex but not poly or pvc)

Nothing is perfect, it has a lot to do with installation. I personally use all 3 but most often use flex, then some pvc, and then maybe some black on occasion. I've been noticing though that flex above ground does tend to get UV damage the quickest of all three. It can get brown and bubbly. This also might not be the clearest determination though as I've had PVC pipe and black poly pipe look normal and then shatter when attempting to cut them, the pipe had been sitting in the sun for many years.

Go with flex, 100' rolls glue fitting at the wall and at the filter been using flex since 1988 because in 1987 when we used poly pipe every roll we got that year was defective and had to replace all lines under warranty "NOT FUN" Only problem with flex and I have only seen it one time is termites and I have used hundreds of rolls of flex pipe in the past twenty five years, make sure to use cleaner and glue designed for flex pipe (Pool Tite) and you should have no problems Just My Opinion

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.