Negative/Infinity Edge Spa

mnittler

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2012
South Texas
Since we are having a spa built into a shallow landing/beach area of the new pool the contractor has given us an option to have a negative/infinity edge effect on the spa at no charge. What are the negatives and positives of a negative edge spa? Can you still sit on the spa edge if it has a negative edge? The spa elevation is only about 3" above the pool water level and about 3/4 circle inside the water (Pool water is surrounding the spa by about 75% of the spa ledge area). The Contractor said that he would only put a 1" of rise in the 14" spa ledge. The pool sits between our house and the edge of a lake.

My thinking is that I won't have to worry too much about water from the pool entering/splashing into the hot tub because the spa is several inches above the pool water level. The hot water displaced upon entering the spa will spill over into the pool and be lost. My initial thought is that the spa heater will not be on except prior to wanting to use the spa and the spa will be isolated from the pool by valving while in use. Under normal non spa usage the water will be also entering the spa and overflowing into the pool as the in floor nozzles cycle thru the cleaning cycle. When the spa is in use the spa suction will be used and the returns will be the spa jets. When the spa is not in use the pool suctions and cleaning nozzles will be used. The spa is just another zone in the paramount cleaning cycle under normal circumstances. We decided to go ahead with the spa negative edge. If I had it to do over again I would have the water completely surround the spa 100% and do the negative edge so the spa would be practically invisible except for the outline during non use. We are also going with a black bottom pebble pool with dark blue tile line, dark blue tile spa, and dark blue tile landing/beach/steps area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.