Plaster Question for a New Pool Owner

Aug 5, 2012
I just built a new gunite pool. We finished filling with water last night. My pool maintenance guy said not to worry about brushing. The leaves are falling and I put a leave net over the pool. They dumped a few bottles of the Startup Tec chemical into the pool. He said he would rather I leave the net on and not brush, as opposed to pulling off the net and brushing every day. I've read the Pool School topic, so I wanted to get some opinions. Should I ignore his advice and brush?

What is the actual pool surface? The gunite is the structure.

Is is plaster or aggregate (pebble)? I think it is more important to brush plaster than the pebble products, but either way I think brushing at start-up is more important that fishing a few leaves out ... although hopefully others will chime in.

I would follow the advice of the builder. You don't want to give him any excuse to invalidate your warranty if there is some kind of problem. I have spoken with a number of people who end up getting hosed by their builder on something that should be a warranty issue because of some ridiculous little thing that they did or didn't do.

Not an expert, I can only parrot back what I have read here on the forum.......brushing is a very important part of new plaster startup. That said, It is probably important to ask your PB some more questions.......not brushing is pretty unusual.

it is recommended to brush a white plaster pool to remove the "fat" the excess calcium that comes out of the marbledust. when i worked for a pool builder in the hamptons, we would meticulously vacuum the ENTIRE SURFACE of the pool with a vinyl vacuum head as opposed to a head with wheels, to waste. it would effectively brush the surface while dumping out the excess stuff.

however, occasionally the pool plaster would not have any excess stuff on the surface so we would just keep the ph down and thats about it. so i would follow your pool builder's instructions. if it really concerns you then i would ask for a second opinion from someone else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.