Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
As I was bringing indoors some of the stuff in my pool shed in for the winter, I noticed that a couple of unopened bleach bottles seem to be bloated, like they are rounded in shape. It is fall in Chicago, but we've hardly had any extreme weather to this point. Any ideas what would cause this? Or more importantly, what I should do about it? I am afraid if I open them I will get a bleach blast in the eye or something, but also afraid if I leave them they may split.

In warmer climates, Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) in any strength from 2.5% to 12% has a reaction as it breaks down called "off-gassing" where it converts to gaseous form. If not allowed to vent, it will expand in the container and eventually explode. I'd open them slowly and not inhale the gas that comes out. How long have you had the bleach? Was it in your shed when it was hot out?

I must have bought these bottles in September so they were not there for any particularly hot periods, I doubt we even touched 90 for any length of time. The odd thing is that they looked fine, as I recall, during the month of October which is why I suspected the cold had something to do with it. They are totally sealed with no venting (a generic brand from Home Depot) so I'll open the seals to let them breath with the bottles pointed away from me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.