How do i turn off the SWG (Intellichlor)?

Nov 7, 2012
I have a 2 yr old Intellichlor SWG that has a solid red light saying salt is low and unit is off. Salt is not low. Temp is still in the 70's. Several threads say that when cleaning the SWG to "turn it off." I see no place to turn it off manually. ????

If you move the slider switch to the "Off" position. This will prevent the controller from energizing the cell.

This is enough to be able to unplug the cell control cable. At least in my book. But ultimately it just depends on how "safe" you want to be.

However, the "off switch" doesn't cut power to the unit when in the off position. IE. Control board, transformer, etc.. Only to the cell.
To cut it all, you have to kill it at the breaker box.

If your unit doesn't have an "Inspect Cell" light, then the "low salt" light will illuminate and shut down the cell power. It will do this at 500hr intervals, telling you to clean the cell.
Even if you do have and "inspect cell" light, it could still be reading low salt due to a dirty cell which has obstructed the salt sensor with calcium buildup.

Only do an acid wash if hose water jet cleaning methods don't get it all off.
As every time you acid wash it, you shorten its life a little.

y_not said:

How would you do this on an Intellichlor without getting the outside of the cell wet? I guess my concern is that the sensitive electronics inside the unit might get doused by the water jet and then malfunction. I think this is otherwise a good idea, I just don't see how to do it properly.

Since you have the easy touch load center, go to the menu-settings-intellichlor then disable. Turn your SCG breaker to off and unscrew/unplug the cable from the bottom left of the load center. Then you can unscrew the two unions on the cell and remove from system.
My IC20 has a sliding cover over the lights and buttons but I can't imagine it is the sole protection from weather. I would think your cell is sealed for the most part(other than the end that plugs into the load center.

CraigMW said:
y_not said:

How would you do this on an Intellichlor without getting the outside of the cell wet? I guess my concern is that the sensitive electronics inside the unit might get doused by the water jet and then malfunction. I think this is otherwise a good idea, I just don't see how to do it properly.

Ooops, I was thinking he had the Hawyard Aquarite unit. *Robin Williams goat voice* My baaaaaddddd.
Still, it should apply that regular acid washes are going to reduce its life.
In fact, Pentair practically says this. It's due to the titanium plates being coated with a rare precious metal called Ruthenium. Every time you acid wash it, it strips a little of that coating off the plates. Once it's gone, your expensive cell is dead.
Pentair recommends a high pressure jet from a garden hose to 1st clean it. It appears the electronics on top are sealed, so it doesn't matter.

From the bottom of pg. 22 in the manual.
"a. Use a high-pressure jet of water from a garden hose. If the blades cannot be reasonably cleaned in this manner, acid cleaning is necessary."

Here's a link with adl. info on cleaning the unit.
http://intellichlor.org/m.html
Scroll down past the 1st section of text, there's a big white space before the next section. Reading that, you will find the recommendation as outlined above. Prior to performing an acid wash.

Also, as for turning the power supply off. It's a little different with an Intellichlor, as the power supply is hardwired into the pump timer /w no off switch on the unit. So you have to shut off the pump at the breaker, then verify the unit is off and no lights are lit. Just to be sure that's where they wired it and not elsewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.