Pool planning in MS

oneman546

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2012
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Trying to firm up my quote request to send out. This will be a DIY. Would really appreciate any comments or suggestions. Especially on the equipment and automation. Thanks

Pool: Hydra Vinyl Pool (<20,000 gal) max depth 5'. Still debating shape with the wife, she'll eventually win but I have to resist for a while.
Wall Accessories: 1/8" Foam, 2 Adhesive & Tape
Brace System: Polymer-X-Braces
Coping: Cantilever-forms-steps
Shallow End Steps: R-8-White_Sit-n-steps
Step-Location: Off-center
Handrail & Escutcheons: none
Straight end entry: In-pool corner step at 2R corner
Handrail: none
All plumbing to be 2”
Heater: Pentair Ultratemp Heat Pmp 120 Heat/Cool 125000/75000 Btu
Pool Pump: Pentair IntelliFlo® VS Variable Speed Pump
Pool Filter: Pentair Triton II TR50 (21") Sand
Pool Filter Valve: Pentair Triton Multiport Valve Kit 2"
Skimmer-System: R-2skm-3ret (2 skimmers, 3 returns, no main drain)
Chlorinator: Pentair Intellichlor Complete (Cell & Power Center) Up To 20000 Gal
Automation: EasyTouch 8 control system with Screen Logic (iPad, iPhone, & computer controlled)
Maintenance Kit: Basic
Auto Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend II Pressure-side auto in-ground cleaner
Pool Light: Pentair Intellibrite® 5G Color Led Pool Light 120V 50' Cord
Pool Light 2: Pentair Intellibrite® 5G Color Led Pool Light 120V 50' Cord
2-way Valves: 3
2-way Actuators: 3
3-way Valves: 4
3-way Actuators: 1
Check Valves: 5
Hand-Curve: Right
Pool-Depth: Play_5ft-4in
Non Stock Liner: Siesta Wave 20M

Here is my plan for the equipment. I used a plan originally posted by VinceL as my guide, so many thanks to Vince.

For a 20,000 gal pool you need to bump that filter up to at least a TR-100 and maybe even a TR-140, especially with a spa.

You have way too many check valves. The only place you really need one is possibly the spa return. They add head loss, so the fewer of them you have the better.

I think you'd be better off with a gas heater but on the coast you're probably ok with the heat pump.

I second bama's suggestion of the TR-100.....adequate filtration capacity will really make your system work much better.

I would also consider a 1-1.5 HP 2-speed pump instead of the VS. You will not get your money back on the cost of the VS for a VERY long period of time......a 2-speed will pay you back in a couple of years.

Great, I removed the check valves and moved up to the larger filter. I chose a heat pump because of the chiller. Any thoughts on how much I could expect the chiller to reduce the water temp? I understand there are a lot of factors involved but would 10 degrees be too high of an expectation?

I chose the VS pump in order to have a higher level of control. Is there a specific 2-speed model that would work best with EasyTouch?

Thanks

I chose a heat pump because of the chiller
10 degrees sounds like a lot but I have no experience with a chiller. Google "pool cooler" here on the forum and you will find a lot of us are able to cool our pool adequately with a big "fountain" that simply throws the return water into the air. It works wonders on my large pool and, depending on how long I run it, I can get the water downright cool even during 96 degreee days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.