Post-Sandy Pool Issues

Jul 25, 2012
Basking Ridge, NJ
Hi all,

As I'm sure you've heard, we got pretty hit pretty hard up here by the storm and after an inspection of my pool it looks like there's a large amount of leafs and debris which somehow made it under the cover. The pool is white gunite and it was just "re-gunitied" this year and we closed the pool about 2 weeks ago. I know the leaves are going to stain if I leave them and the water is looking murky enough to possibly cause a water ring around the pool. So, here's my dilemma. Do I take the cover off and reopen the whole system to clear up the water and vacuum the whole thing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

- Patrick

Yes. I would tough it out and reclean the pool . The "white" gunite is susceptible and the cleaner you get it now, the better it will look this coming Spring. (Easy for me to say because I'm not having to do the work)

If it were a darker color, older, or you weren't very particular appearance wise, then you might consider leaving it but it sounds like you have it looking very nice and probably want to protect it as much as you can.

If you can get the leaves out soon, most of those stains will go away with bleach.

You also don't need to start the pool back up or re-winterize it.
You can pump off the cover, remove it, and get the leaves out with a garden hose and a thing called a "leaf master".

Does anyone in your area rent or loan a pool robot for testing? You could also try that. Only a true robot however would work - something that doesn't need circulation.

So far no luck on a pool robot and the "leaf bagger" I found from our old house has a cracked retention ring and no bag. I think I can get one overnighted from Amazon; does anyone have a suggestion on a model they know to be a quality product or if I should steer away from one particular brand or another?

Thanks!

PMellin said:
So far no luck on a pool robot and the "leaf bagger" I found from our old house has a cracked retention ring and no bag. I think I can get one overnighted from Amazon; does anyone have a suggestion on a model they know to be a quality product or if I should steer away from one particular brand or another?

Thanks!

Does anyone rent/sell a trash pump - pump with a grinder in it? Used often for house with plumbing below grade. If any of those have an intake hose they might work but I don't know if they produce useable suction.

If that doesn't work - just keep using a leaf rake. You'll get clear eventually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.