MasterTemp 250 Indoor Venting Question

Jul 9, 2012
MN
I am in the process of replacing two MiniMax Heaters with MasterTemp 250s on an indoor pool and hot tub configuration. They have completely reconfigured the vent (as well as everything else) on these 250s. I would like to utilize the current venting which runs outside of the building. The current venting is Selkirk 4" double wall with Snap-Lock (the pipes just snap together). For example, one of the 3' straight runs of the existing vent has a part number 104036. I am trying to figure out what adapter I need from Pentair to go from the MasterTemps to this existing venting. In the manual it lists the following options:

77707-0086
77707-0087

I am assuming that I use the 77707-0086 because it is made by the same manufacturer, but looking at the manufacturer website I am not sure this will actually connect ot the existing venting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You cannot use the selkirk 4" double wall, or "B" vent for a master temp, or a power max. You need to use a catIII rated stainless steel vent for a horizontal discharge application.

Racket:

Is there a reason why the Selkirk can not be utilized? I am just asking because our local Big Box stores sell it for use as exhaust vent on gas fired appliances including hot water heaters, gas fireplaces and the such within a home. The existing venting was installed by a professional pool installer from our nearest metro area five years ago. That being said, I understand that even professionals can make mistakes and cut corners. I was hoping to use the existing venting where it passed through the wall as this is pretty rigidly mounted and would be extremely difficult to replace. However, if it is absolutely required I will go that route.

As for having a licensed HVAC professional perform the work, I had our local licensed HVAC professional perform some work on the main boiler for the house a few weeks ago. Let's just say that I ended up redoing most of his work to correct it. It was pretty bad.

Nemesis said:
Racket:

Is there a reason why the Selkirk can not be utilized? I am just asking because our local Big Box stores sell it for use as exhaust vent on gas fired appliances including hot water heaters, gas fireplaces and the such within a home. The existing venting was installed by a professional pool installer from our nearest metro area five years ago. That being said, I understand that even professionals can make mistakes and cut corners. I was hoping to use the existing venting where it passed through the wall as this is pretty rigidly mounted and would be extremely difficult to replace. However, if it is absolutely required I will go that route.

As for having a licensed HVAC professional perform the work, I had our local licensed HVAC professional perform some work on the main boiler for the house a few weeks ago. Let's just say that I ended up redoing most of his work to correct it. It was pretty bad.

I don't know about the Selkirk type venting, but it needs to be stainless because, unlike the hot water, and gas Fire place, the master temp emits alot of water vapor or condensate. Which will destroy the usual galvanized venting, even double wall.

Some research: Looks like Selkirk makes a couple types of Stainless vent pipes: Saf-T vent GC, and CI Plus. But still not familiar with them enough to determine if they make an adapter that will mate up to the outlet of the heater. Pentair recommends "Z-vent" and the accompanying appliance adapter that is available through typical P & S distribution. Sorry, haven't committed the part number to memory, just tell them what (heater) you need it for, that should be enough.

Nemesis said:
Racket:

Is there a reason why the Selkirk can not be utilized? I am just asking because our local Big Box stores sell it for use as exhaust vent on gas fired appliances including hot water heaters, gas fireplaces and the such within a home.

B vent can only be used in atmospheric, or vertical venting applications. If the venting application is horizontal, you must use a category III rated piping system. The most common one is Z flex, or z vent. There are many others though. It's not that they need the stainless steel. IIRC stainless steel is only required on venting appliances greater than 86% efficiency ( master temp is 84%). THe problem with the selkirk b vent is that a 4" vent will be pressurized regardless of whether or not it's a vertical vent there is no way to properly seal b vent so that flue gasses do not escape.

Unless you wanted to increase the size of the selkirk vent to at least 7" and have it go vertical, you must replace it with z vent. The price when it's all said and done will be pretty close to the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.