pool full of brachish bay water..what to do?

CaptJoe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2010
Bayville, NJ
hi guys, got a relatively minor problem here, but i'm kinda just looking foward a bit. hurricane sandy had 2 feet of new jersey's barnegat bay water over my pool, leaving it the same dark brown color of brackish baywater. should i : float some chlorine tablets now, see if it settles in the spring and vacuum, will the brackish water have to be pumped out and pool refilled ?? i'm waiting for the forcasted n'easter to pass then will blow out the skimmer lines again. i have several neighbors with the same problem and no one seems quite sure what to do. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thx

I'd test the salt level in the pool and see where that is before I did much of anything else. I doubt it's very high but you never know.

If it is high, you're going to have to drain some water to get rid of it and that should happen soon.

Just to add to what Dave advised, depending on how much rain we get (my parents are in Bayville, NY = LI Sound) you may want to drain at least some before the storm and take advantage of the rainwater replacement unless storm surge is likely again. We have our fingers crossed the nor'easter does not flood us again with storm surge.

thx for the advice...how do i test for salt levels in pool water ? and if the salt level is acceptable, is there anything i can do now. i've dropped the level about 6". don't want to go too low just yet because the ground is still saturated around it.

You can get salt test strips from the pool store, have the pool store test the salt, or if you have a friend with a SWG ask if you can borrow their salt test. There is also a drop based salt test available, but since you do not use a SWG that may be more expense than necessary.

Aside from the salt issue, you may want to net out the pool to make sure nothing "undesirable" washed into the pool during the storm. I didn't have to deal with storm surge, but after Ike I had a lot of storm debris (tree limbs, shingles, and other trash) that landed in my above ground pool and turned it black in a day.

i have a tight mesh winter cover so i'm almost positive there's no heavy debris in pool. i'm expecting to find a layer of mud and silt, but i can't see bottom so i'm not 100% sure. had the scoop net on a pool pole and could not find any solids. off to get some salt dipsticks..what levels am i looking for ?? and how will i know if i have to do the total drain thing.
thx again

Normal swg pools run from about 3000 ppm to about 5000 ppm so unless you're well over that I wouldn't worry about it. If you're over 5000 ppm then I'd suggest draining enough to get back into that range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.