All new water after liner replacement

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
Ok, so now that I have all new water. How much clorax should I add to start with?

Only chroline to touch the pool are the pucks in my skimmer baskets. I have the heater going so I need to act fast to beat algae!

Thanks!

You can usually startup a pool with pucks and a little basic level balancing, without bleach or stabilizer. That isn't the popular style of doing things here, but it works well enough.

When starting a pool you need to start with a set of test numbers to see where you are and what needs to be done. Post a full set of test numbers and we can give you some specific advice.

Justin's test kit is not yet in his possession but I've been following his saga. Since you just filled with new water, you are safe to assume all your parameters are ok for the next few days 'til your kit gets to you.

However, to keep your pool sanitized and algae free, I would put in one small jug of Clorox each evening until you get your kit and post the full set of numbers.

Remember to put the Clorox in after the Sun is completely off the pool (or very close) that will protect the Clorox from UV and allow it to work on any organics that may be in your pool.

You'll lose almost all of the chlorine the next day because you have no stabilizer.

However, since your water is clear you can go ahead and add the stabilizer into the skimmer (pump running) and have that starting to slowly dissolve (it'll take a few days) in your pool. Do not backwash while the CYA/stabilizer is dissolving or you'll lose it.

Use JasonLion's calculator to tell you how much stabilizer to add....shoot for 40ppm to start.

Ok, cool. I did find one gal of 10% shock in the garage so I added that. I may swing by the pool store and have the water tested before the kit comes. Unless of course I get it by tomorrow or Sat which I doubt.

HA.

Ok, so I turned the heater on.. temp went up about 8 degrees and the deep end started getting REALLY green. I freaked out and dumped in a gal of algaecide.. and three gals on clorox a couple hours later.

Thoughts?

jjdurrant said:
HA.

Ok, so I turned the heater on.. temp went up about 8 degrees and the deep end started getting REALLY green. I freaked out and dumped in a gal of algaecide.. and three gals on clorox a couple hours later.

Thoughts?

You're on track with the clorox, but I believe the algaecide is unneccessary at this point. Algaecide is more of an algae preventer than remover. Clorox alone will do that job if added in sufficient amounts and consistently.

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:36 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jjdurrant wrote:
Unless of course I get it by tomorrow or Sat which I doubt.

Ohhh watch what you say my friend, Duraliegh will surprise you with his FAST delivery

Naw. I can't do that one. His kit will go out in about 30 min from now but Justin lives up in Minnesota. First of next week is the best we can do on that one.

Justin, Don't freak out and, especially don't start tossing things in your pool (in quantities where you are only guessing) when you don't know the outcome. This BBB thing is all about testing and understanding what's happening in your pool and not wasting money on unneccessary chemicals.

I'm almost positive that was not algae but rather a reaction to what I think is metal content in your water. I think you said you had a test kit that could give you pH and Alkalinity. If so, post those numbers here on the forum but do not put anything else in your pool 'til you/we determine what the cause of that was.

What was the source of your fill water? Is it from a well?

PS - I believe it will go away soon but it wont be because of the Clorox or the aglaecide.

Ok, I am settling down now... I put the solar cover on, heat is on, and I will leave the pump run 24x7.

We filled up with city water via a garden hose.

Current temp is 65 which is 15+ from this morning.

Here is my chlorine and ph:

IMG_0831.jpg

Alkalinity is about 100ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pH is too high. Get some muriatic acid and, using JasonLion's calculator, get it down around 7.2 - 7.4.

Interesting that the city would provide water with the pH that high.

Next, take a sample of your pool water in to a pool store and ask them to if they can test for metals for you (most can)

Post those results back up.

I do believe that the high pH (your Alk is ok) caused the metal to precipitate out locally. I also believe it will go back into suspension but I'm not a metal expert by any stretch.

Other folks will be along soon and I think will be able to shed some light on your situation. Your probably gonna' need to use a metal sequestrant but don't be in a hurry to put it in your pool 'til someone else chimes in.

Ok, here are my results from the PS.

Saturation Index: 0.4
TDS: 400
CYA: 70
TC: 5
FC: 5
pH: 7.7
Alkalinity: 260
Hardness: 175

WOW! The Alkalinity test with my Sta-Rite kit was WAY off. I am also suprised the pH is 5. I had 0 chlorine in the pool yesterday and added one gal of 10% shock this morning, and three gal of Clorox this afternoon (plus the Algaecide).

I have the Muriatic Acid in hand.. I plan to add three cups now and test in the morning.

I plan to use a plastic measuring cup and pour in front of the return jet with the solar cover on.

Sound good?

^^ funny you mention that. I do have two pucks in each skimmer basket. However, one of the guys testing my water at the PS accidently poured my test water down the drain before checking CYA. I heard him tell the other employee recording the results "Ummm CYA 70".

So I will recheck once my TF-100 gets here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.