Drain below the skimmer or not?

Apr 15, 2012
South Dakota
I had my inground pool closed a few weeks ago and the local pool guy said that they don't drain the pool below the skimmer. Should I be doing this? I questioned because when I bought the house early this year the water had been drained below the skimmer when it had been closed the past winter.

Thank you

A good number of people drain below the skimmer and that's partially to protect any waterline tile from freezing water. Since you don't have tile (I'm assuming :) ) you could use a gizmo, etc to protect the skimmer from ice expansion. Maybe that's what they do.

Then ....unless you have tile (as stated earlier), or you need a drain down for chemical reasons......there is no need to drop it down that low. As long as the company who closed your pool did a good job of blowing the lines and sealing them up with gizzmos....you should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.