More pool guy humor...

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
PG came back today to install my new solar cover.. this is the same guy that did my heater and liner. I trust him, but keeping BBB in mind.. I have to laugh at his warnings.

1. NEVER USE LC!!! He says granular only or my liner will wear twice as fast.

2. Do not use solar cover for 24 hours after using chlorine (shotens life span). I guess I can't debunk this. Thoughts?

jjdurrant said:
Do not use solar cover for 24 hours after using chlorine (shotens life span).

That one is hilarious! You have to use chlorine at least every 24 hours, so I guess solar covers are right out of the question!

Seriously, very high chlorine levels can shorten the lifespan of a solar cover. But keep in mind that solar covers don't last all that long for a whole variety of reasons. If your cover lasts long enough for chlorine degradation to be an issue, you are already doing better than practically everyone else.

In practical terms, if you add chlorine slowly over a return flow with the pump running, especially at the deep end if you have a floor drain, then the chlorine will get reasonably well mixed in the entire pool in around 10 minutes and will be thoroughly mixed in 30 minutes -- for typical pump flow rates and pool sizes and assuming reasonable circulation (I've measured FC around my own pool after adding chlorine as an experiment and I've also used Party Blue dye to check circulation patterns). So whatever local blip in FC that might occur right after adding the chlorine will not be a problem if you just wait a short period of time before putting back the cover. And as Jason points out, the degradation of the cover is mostly from other factors, especially UV from sunlight exposure, not from chlorine.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.