Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: More pool guy humor...

1. Back To Top    #1

More pool guy humor...

PG came back today to install my new solar cover.. this is the same guy that did my heater and liner. I trust him, but keeping BBB in mind.. I have to laugh at his warnings.

1. NEVER USE LC!!! He says granular only or my liner will wear twice as fast.

2. Do not use solar cover for 24 hours after using chlorine (shotens life span). I guess I can't debunk this. Thoughts?
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: More pool guy humor...

Quote Originally Posted by jjdurrant
    Do not use solar cover for 24 hours after using chlorine (shotens life span).
    That one is hilarious! You have to use chlorine at least every 24 hours, so I guess solar covers are right out of the question!

Seriously, very high chlorine levels can shorten the lifespan of a solar cover. But keep in mind that solar covers don't last all that long for a whole variety of reasons. If your cover lasts long enough for chlorine degradation to be an issue, you are already doing better than practically everyone else.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In practical terms, if you add chlorine slowly over a return flow with the pump running, especially at the deep end if you have a floor drain, then the chlorine will get reasonably well mixed in the entire pool in around 10 minutes and will be thoroughly mixed in 30 minutes -- for typical pump flow rates and pool sizes and assuming reasonable circulation (I've measured FC around my own pool after adding chlorine as an experiment and I've also used Party Blue dye to check circulation patterns). So whatever local blip in FC that might occur right after adding the chlorine will not be a problem if you just wait a short period of time before putting back the cover. And as Jason points out, the degradation of the cover is mostly from other factors, especially UV from sunlight exposure, not from chlorine.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4
    You guys rock. I am so glad I found this place!

5. Back To Top    #5

What is "Party Blue dye"?
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

6. Back To Top    #6
    GLB Party Blue turns the water blue. There is another company that makes blue, red, and green.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    GLB Party Blue turns the water blue. There is another company that makes blue, red, and green.
    Cool product!