Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA level for AZ pool

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA level for AZ pool

A question for the AZ TFPers.

I live in a hotter part of Arizona (Marana), and my new pool gets full sun. What level should my CYA be? The temperature is regularly well over 100F for 3-4 months in the summer (Sunday is predicted to be 101), and my CYA is currently 65.

I use bleach, and have no SWG.
    Good Times

2. Back To Top    #2
    If your pool gets direct sunlight all day, ie no trees/house/hill shading the pool at all, in a sunny area like Arizona, I would run with CYA between 60 and 80.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sweet! I'm within range! Thanks for the help.

Just curious, but what are the symptoms of having too high CYA?
    Good Times

4. Back To Top    #4
    At higher CYA levels you need more and more FC to keep the pool sanitized. At some point the FC gets high enough that it becomes difficult to measure the PH, since high FC level can interfere with the PH test. It also becomes difficult to measure your CYA level because the standard test only measures to 100. And it takes truly amazing amounts of chlorine to shock the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Noted. According to the awesome power of the pool calculator, I need to keep a minimum FC of 5.0 with my CYA at 65, which doesn't sound too extreme.

Thanks again for your help.
    Good Times