Auto Cover Questions

Sep 26, 2012
I am a new pool owner. Water was added about 30 days ago. Pool is scheduled to be closed for the winter next week. We have an auto cover and I have a few newbie questions. Appreciate any thoughts on the following:

1 - there seems to be differing opinions about using an auto cover as a winter cover. We are in the mid-Atlantic region and plan to use the auto cover as our winter cover. Are there any suggestions on things to watch for when doing this?

2 - there is a small gap between the header (or rail maybe?) on the front of the cover and the shallow end wall/coping of the pool. The cover pit is on the deep end side and the cover pulls from there towards the shallow end. This gap allows water, bugs and leaves in the pool. I'm concerned about getting a bunch of stuff in the pool through the winter and not being able to vacuum it out since all my equipment will be shut down. Any advice for dealing with this?

3 - I've been told if there is a big snow storm coming to open the cover and let the snow go in the pool instead of landing on the cover and weighing it down. What constitutes a lot of Snow? Also, won't this raise my pool water level? Guess I can just pump the water out some how? Also, what about the chemicals? Won't this mess up my chemicals?

Sorry for all the questions. PB has been pretty helpful in general, but not so much in this one area.

Thanks!
Mike

I live in North East Pennsylvania. My customer has an automatic cover and a safety cover. The automatic cover is used in the summer and then is retracted fully for the winter and the safety cover is used. Automatic covers don't have many ways of dealing with the weight of a snow load. They are pretty strong in general but when compared to a safety cover that uses springs anchors all over the deck to keep the cover in place during the winter I'm afraid that is could cause the cover to come off the track or fail in some other way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.