What's the Italian for Polyquat?...

in-two

Silver Supporter
Nov 13, 2011
Sabina, Italy
Here is the correspondence I am having here in Italy trying to get my hands on some Polyquat 60:

Question:

Please let me have the long-form chemical name of the product and concentration to check if it is exactly what I need. I am looking for : "Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride" at 60% concentration.

Many Thanks and Best Regards,

Answer:

This is the chemical formel and concentration of our Algeacide non foaming for Swimming Pools

9 % Poli (dimetilammina-epicloridrina copolimero) in water solution
(-(Cl)N(CH3)2-CH2-CH(OH)-CH2-)n

I'm guessing that this is indeed Polyquat, but can somebody who knows (chem geek?) confirm? I am also concerned about the '9%' as opposed to '60%' concentration. This stuff is quite expensive , about 125 USD for 25 litres (5 gallons).
I want to use it as I am not going to be near the pool for some months over winter so can't guarantee FC levels but I'm going for a Loop Loc solid cover and algaecide in a determined attempt at "opening clear" next spring, is this a foolish hope?

That isn't the Polyquat you are looking for. What they are giving you is this Polyquat (and note that this is around 60% concentration) which has the same name but is a different chemical. The chemical structure for the one that you want is shown in this link. You might show that link to them so that they can better understand what you are looking for, and preferably in 60% concentration.

Now they claim that their algaecide is non-foaming and is presumably effective so it might be OK, but we don't have any experience with it. Goggle (with some mods from me) translates "?Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride" in English to "????Poli [ossietilene (dimetilammina) etilene (dimetilammina) etilene dichloro]" in Italian.

Many thanks again for clear, detailed and actionable advice. I wasn't confident of 'machine translation' of an exact chemical name, but it seems right.
I will ask again but I fear that this is all they have at this particular supplier. If the quoted type of Polyquat at 9% concentration is all I can get, can I assume that dosage is pro-rata to the 60 % mentioned here in many posts?

Thanks again from Bella Italia

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.