Winter cover methods and madness

jch

May 30, 2011
I had several 4 by 8 foot sections of the 2" thick construction insulation foam left over from my pool project. At $30 a piece, I figured they might be helpful for supporting a pool cover for the winter. I carefully planned out a framework where I could cut them up put them together like the internal supports of an airplane wing. I thought I could pull the cover tight enough so all rain would run off the cover and down onto the deck. Not so. Total failure after the first rain and I'm out there siphoning about 150 gallons from the top of the cover.

This led me to another idea. Perhaps it has been done here, but here goes:

1. Put nothing in the pool, except perhaps an air pillow or innertube for an ice block.
2. Drain pool level to below the skimmer.
3. Put a Hayward inlet fitting in the center of the cover. I use a water tight cover.
4. Put some deer netting around the fitting to keep debris out.
5. Put a hose between this fitting in the cover and the system return fitting that is under water.
6. Remove all hoses from the outside of the return fitting and winterize all pump and filter parts as normal.

With this scenario, if it rains, the water runs to the center of the cover and down through the hose in the pool and out the return fitting below the waterline.
No more worrying about draining the pool cover or overfilling the pool. The way I see it, this is the one huge advantage we have as above ground pool owners because we can use gravity to our advantage to drain the cover.

Anybody see a problem with this idea? I live in Williamsburg, Virginia so our winter is not a deep freeze.

Read the manual for that cover... I love the part where they tell you to use Winter chemicals - but no chlorine because the vapors could damage the cover.

Oh, did I mention they sell Winter chemicals...

Sent via Tapatalk...

Looks nice, but rather expensive for my pool since I have a 12 by 24 rectangular. I think I'll implement my version of it today. I already purchased the Hayward fittings that will attach to a hose. Last year I did nothing for winter chemistry and the pool was fine in the spring. I think I'll just let the water sit again this time.

I'm actually considering putting in a separate Hayward return fitting through my pool for maintaining water level. The lady at the pool store told me I was crazy and it wouldn't work because of "barometric pressure". She's nuts. I would put a standpipe 10 feet away from my pool that is cut to the desired height that I want to maintain my water. If it rains in my pool, the water overflows at the standpipe. The only problem I can see with this might be the "standing" water in the pipe when it's not raining. It could be a source for algae growth. The other option is of course to put the hayward fitting at the height where I want excess water to run out, but I don't have much room near this height because of my deck construction.

Thanks. Already done. Went off without a hitch. I have a homemade aqua-door to cover my return, but it is a pain to install now that I have a deck. I didn't mind giving up a couple hundred gallons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.