Mesh Safety Cover - How Tight?

Oct 30, 2010
Highland, MI
I have a mesh safety cover contoured to my kidney shaped pool with a set of steps on each end. The PB installed it last year and informed me to get the water level to about 15" before it snows. I did so and got 4 small dime sized holes in the mesh last year. I think this was from some water puddling on top and re-freezing. Other than that seemed ok.

This year I installed the cover and water is about 24" below right now. The cover clearly stretched a bit this year and is already pretty saggy almost touching the water. It looks like a trampoline when windy! Thoughts? Keep it loose? Tighten the springs up? Add water to 15" again?

Mike

Tighten the springs. It should be flat with the deck all the way across when the cover is dry. Seems like mine had a length to compress the springs to. I don't understand how ice could have put holes in it unless it was flapping in the wind.

Ice didn't cause those holes. Holes are mostly from dragging the cover, insects(ants), or rodents. You must adhere to the 15" rule as having the level lower means when the water freezes the weight of the snow load will be solely upon the cover which is what causes damage (and will void warranty). The proper tension is typically 70-75% compression on springs. If it was a brand new cover you would use around 90% compression as the cover will relax a bit after installation. if your cover was solid ultra-loc you only use a 60% compression as the cover doesn't stretch much.

JohnT said:
mschmidt33 said:
How do you set the compression? Confused? None of the springs are stretched.

Generally by tightening the straps before hooking the springs on the anchors
I was new to thus this year. Just start with a pair on opposite sides of the pool. Remove one strap on one side and adjust to take out an inch. Reattach and check the other side the same way. As you get the tension right the springs on both sides will be compressed more than halfway. Find another pair... Repeat.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Don't you mean spring stretch vs. compressed? They are already fully compressed when unhooked.

UnderWaterVanya said:
JohnT said:
mschmidt33 said:
How do you set the compression? Confused? None of the springs are stretched.

Generally by tightening the straps before hooking the springs on the anchors
I was new to thus this year. Just start with a pair on opposite sides of the pool. Remove one strap on one side and adjust to take out an inch. Reattach and check the other side the same way. As you get the tension right the springs on both sides will be compressed more than halfway. Find another pair... Repeat.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.