New Pool owner - First winter questions

westgd

Oct 16, 2012
Charleston, SC
Hi All! New pool owner here and just wanted to say thanks for a great site and the knowledgeable people who have been providing very helpful info. I didn't really realize the scope of complexities and variables of pool maintenance.

Since winter is on it's way and I'm going to keep my pool open all the way through, I just wanted to post out some test numbers (TF100 Kit) to see if anyone has recommendations for adjustments? Also I've read some posts that indicate numbers should be slightly different for winter conditions, do you have a recommended range?:

1. Chlorine: FC - 9
2. Total Alkalinity: 60
3. Calcium Hardness: 220
4. CYA: 50
5. Salt Levels: 4400
6. PH: 7.5

I live in SC where we don't experience severe winter temps but do drop below freezing occasionally. Aside from keeping the pool in balance and making sure the pump runs during freeze conditions (My control panel has a freeze guard to auto run the pump below 35f), is there anything else that needs to be done?

Thanks,
Greg

Your numbers look ok. You can let the FC come down some.

Summer and winter levels are pretty much the same it doesn't use as much chlorine so the swg can be turned down, also when it gets below about 60º the swg will shut down and you'll need to manually dose the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.