Winterizing inground pool - equipment below water surface

Feb 16, 2012
Winston Salem NC
After an easy first pool season, I am not preparing to winterize. I should have my safety cover ordered by the end of the day tomorrow (custom fit due to the 4' radius corners on my 18x36 rectangular vinyl pool), but looking for any tips for winterizing.

Our equipment is located a good distance away from the pool, under my shelter on the back of the detached garage. The location of the equipment puts it below the surface of the water (even at its "winterizing level").

For the skimmer lines (2), I believe it is as simple as blowing (or vacuuming) the water from the lines once the water level is lowered. What about the main drain line? I have 2 main drains that tie into one line near the edge of the pool. Is there a good method to get the water out of them? Am I left to simply wrapping the exposed pipe at the equipment pad with insulation? I am in central NC, so we do not have brutal winters, but you never know.

Thanks for all help!

Mike

Re: Winterizing inground pool - equipment below water surfac

You are supposed to winterize a maindrain by blowing air from the equipment pad to the maindrain on the bottom of the pool until air starts to bubble out and then you trap the air in the line by shutting off a valve or quickly plugging the line

Another option that MAY work and it's what I plan to do but haven't yet due to water temp - is to use the Gizzmo type device in a skimmer and have only that skimmer and the main drain(s) connected by setting the filter to closed - as you blow into the skimmer - the outflow should be via the main drains if you are lucky. If not then blow from the pad side if you have an option to do so.

head gamez said:
X-pertpool

What is normally used to blow through the main drain?

I have a commercial grade backpack blower, but something tells me that is not what is normally used.

Thanks
Some use shop vac, some use compressors, some use blowers, some use dedicated machines.

Sent via Tapatalk...

I use a cyclone liner vac (google that). But that's like $400 for only one purpose. An air compressor will work and you might already own one or know someone to borrow one. It doesn't take too much PSI, compressors are just slow as the total volume of air is relatively low. Technically you can use a blow through compression plug and a bicycle pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.