Low water temps and Intellichlor usage

CraigMW

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2011
Orange County, CA
I installed an Intellichlor with an Easytouch 8 over the summer and have really enjoyed the break from hauling chlorine jugs from HD and keeping close track of the water parameters. Now, I just need to add occasional muriatic acid and all is good. However, our nighttime temps have been dropping (despite daytime temps in the upper 80's) and our water temp is now hovering around 58F. I recall reading in the Intellichlor manual that the unit will stop producing chlorine if the water drops below 59F, though my Easytouch does not report any errors on the unit. I've read that the low water temps affect the salt level circuitry, but does the unit truly stop producing chlorine as well? If it does, shouldn't it send an error code to the Easytouch to inform the lack of chlorine generation? I realize that the amount of chlorine needed is considerably lower when the water temp drops like this, but I would like to be able to keep using the Intellichem over the winter months. Would it have been a better idea to just go with an Intellichem with two pumps for liquid chlorine and acid instead?

I have the IC 20 on an Easytouch 4 system, our water temp is 48 and my red light stays on. The lights don't turn green (other than telling me my salt level is good) so I believe no chlorine will be produced. I'm just finished with my install of the concrete decking so time to clean/balance the water and winterizing. Going to HD tomorrow for liquid chlorine.

I'm not seeing any red lights, but that may be because I checked it late in the day when the temp was up to 61. I'm still amazed it is at this low temp this quickly since it's been pretty warm around here. I guess it does get relatively chilly in the evenings. In any event, it seems to be working now, but for how long I don't know. The pool seems to be maintaining a reasonable level of chlorine though, at least for now.

CraigMW said:
I'm not seeing any red lights,.
On the top of the cell talighted a few lights that show either is a steady green = good salt level or flashes red if salt level is to low or water is cold. There are also a series of lights showing %of chlorine generation. None of the buttons on your cell function when connected to the easy touch system. All SWCG cell functions are controlled via the menu>settings>intellichlor on your Easytouch display. Page 1/2 shows initial settings and page2/2 provides a 24hr super chlorinate function (100% output of the cell)
You can reset the whole system back to factory (if it was changed) or make your own settings via menu. Remember to push the menu button one more time once done programming any new settings or it won't save.

4nights:

Thanks for that info. I didn't realize that you need to press the menu button to finalize the settings on the Easytouch. I usually do, but good to remember that. It might explain some issues I had when I first set it up!

On my Intellichlor IC60, there is a green light that goes on if the temp drops below 59F. I did notice this going on, and presumably this shuts off chlorine generation. But, all of the other lights seemed to remain on as though the IC60 was still producing chlorine. Also, the diagnostics for the IC60 on the ET8 all looked normal.

UWV: Yes, I really should purchase a cover for it. It's a funky shaped pool, so it would be kind of a pain to stow the cover when its not on the pool. A reel for the pool cover just wouldn't work for this application. But at some point, I'm going to have to bit the bullet and get a cover for it. It would certainly help to keep my all the leaves from my neighbor's trees out of our pool!

Stock up on bleach if you don't have a cover. Your losses to the sun will be higher than you would think. A winter cover doesn't normally involve a reel.

Sent via Tapatalk...

UnderWaterVanya said:
Stock up on bleach if you don't have a cover. Your losses to the sun will be higher than you would think. A winter cover doesn't normally involve a reel.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Hmm. I'd still need a place to store/stow it. But, I really must get one of these. I find it a bit strange how low the temp in the water is given that it has been really nice, if not downright warm around here lately. It must be that the recent dry air here (called Santa Ana winds, btw) has led to significant evaporative cooling, so the cover would definitely address that issue. I just don't like the look of pool covers, esp. when a bunch of gunk falls on them. Even when not in use, our pool serves as part of our landscaping (esp. at night with the lighted waterfall and wonderful LED pool lighting. I guess I'll just have to keep getting those bottles of chlorine from HD. Or maybe I can tempt my wife into letting me buy a 2-motor version of the Intellichem!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also want to keep my pool uncovered because of the beauty of it in my winter garden. This is my first year with SWG, and i don't know how to turn it off for the winter. Does it wear and tear it if i leave it on as i circulate in the winter?

Just throwing some information out to the people looking for/ needing a cover. They do make a chemical you can add weekly to the pool that acts as a cover, so far as keeping evaporation down not keeping debris out. Natural chemistry makes one called Cover Free. I have heard tons of good things about the product and know it works. As for the SWG questions, the production of chlorine stops after the water gets cold enough probably 56-59F so you have to keep the chlorine up by shocking (which i recommend over Boosting for 24hrs saves life on the cell) the demand of chlorine in the pool as very low during the winter. :cheers:

WaterWizard said:
Just throwing some information out to the people looking for/ needing a cover. They do make a chemical you can add weekly to the pool that acts as a cover, so far as keeping evaporation down not keeping debris out. Natural chemistry makes one called Cover Free. I have heard tons of good things about the product and know it works.

Lots of reports of these liquid covers failing due to wind.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.