Aqualink RS4 w/ PDA - adding circuits

ladsjohn

Bronze Supporter
Mar 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hi,
I have a newly installed Aqualink RS4 with PDA. The PCB has the capacity to run the filter pump and 3 aux relays. Currently they're wired to
AUX1 - water feature pump (sheer descent)
AUX2 - pool light
AUX3 - spa light.

I want to add some landscape lighting and have it hooked into my automation system. With the RS4 - I don't have the capacity to add more controlled relays. I gather I can use a relay splitter but why wouldn't I use one of the following options instead?

1) Splice the pool lights and spa light together on a single relay. Freeing a relay for my landscape lights
2) Splice the pool and landscape lights onto a single relay.

I'm guessing local codes (I'm in San Diego) dictate what I can do here? I know I'm limiting what I can switch on/off in isolation but I'm thinking I could live with just turning on the landscape lights when the pool light is on.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

I do not think there is a problem with doing either of the options you described assuming the load is still acceptable for the breaker size. The landscaping lights likely need to be on a GFCI also anyway.

I am not sure if there are codes related to running multiple circuits off the relays, but I would think it is fine (your responsibility to check of course). How is it different from having multiple lights on the same switch? In fact, I would guess most (well many anyway) pools have the pool and spa lights on the same circuit and switch anyway.

ladsjohn said:
Hi,
I have a newly installed Aqualink RS4 with PDA. The PCB has the capacity to run the filter pump and 3 aux relays. Currently they're wired to
AUX1 - water feature pump (sheer descent)
AUX2 - pool light
AUX3 - spa light.

I want to add some landscape lighting and have it hooked into my automation system. With the RS4 - I don't have the capacity to add more controlled relays. I gather I can use a relay splitter but why wouldn't I use one of the following options instead?

1) Splice the pool lights and spa light together on a single relay. Freeing a relay for my landscape lights

I'm guessing local codes (I'm in San Diego) dictate what I can do here? I know I'm limiting what I can switch on/off in isolation but I'm thinking I could live with just turning on the landscape lights when the pool light is on.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

You should be able to do either one of your options, without being concerned about codes.
Also, be advised that the only difference between a PDA-4 and a PDA-8 is the chip on the motherboard.

ladsjohn said:
Hi,
quote]

ladsjohn,
If you ever elect to go to colored lights, such as the Jandy LED Watercolors, you should be aware that the color and “light show” on the lights are "programmed" by the Aqualink by repeatedly cycling power to the lights in fixed number of times and power on/off durations. Having both the pool and spa lights on the same relay synchronize the lights so they are the same color. If you had the landscape lights also on that same relay, the landscape lights would flash on and off for a few seconds at whenever you changed the color of the pool/spa lights. Probably not good for the landscape light bulbs to flash on/off unnecessarily. Of course, if you don't plan to use the colored pool/spa lights, then this is a non-issue.
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.