When to pump down Cover (Hurricane Sandy)

rjg202

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, I am in a direct path of the hurricane, I have a solid cover on my pool (15x30 ag) with 2 4x8 pillows. The cover is filling fast. The winds are not here yet, I think lst time the winds blew the water off the cover. When do I go out there and pump provided I have power. i do have a portable generator in the worst case running my critical appliances. Cover is held on with a cable plus those plastic clamps for wind. The water is just below the skimmer and I have an aquador in plus a gizmo in the skimmer. So I don't think I risk dropping cover too far. Cover was oversized for a 16x32 pool and pillows are still inflated but getting encircled with water.

Thoughts

Stay safe...we are also going to be impacted. I would worry about it after the storm and pump off the excess. Ours stays covered all winter and never pump off excess from around nov until spring thaw. Even if the pillow pops you should still be OK if the return plug and skimmer seals hold. We have not used a pillow in the last 3 closings.

Well my cover darn near sunk, probably 2 -2 1/2 feet of water, the pillows stayed inflated. Now my concern is how high did it go in the pool, I have a beaded liner, I worry water may have drained between the liner and pool and lead to rust. The Aquador held and the wind clips held, even with cover pulling tight. We took a direct hit, but no major damage. I think my cover may have split, the seam in the middle looks funny but I see no holes, I will leave it and monitor it. Yesterday I bucketed the water off to help my 350 gph cover pump running off a dc to ac converter and battery pack. Had to improvise, needed to give generator a break so I could fill it.

Glad to hear you made it through OK. The water very likely was running over the pool wall. The bead typically sits on top of the wall. As for moisture between the pool wall and the liner, that exists regardless if the pool overflowed or not from just general condensation, so you should be OK.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.