New plaster problems

vman1

Oct 8, 2012
Orange, CA 92866
Hello everybody. First time here and I have already found so much info that I needed. Great forum.
I am in Southern California and had our pool re plastered in June. That is when my nightmares started.
The pool is gunite pool (not sure how old, guessing 30 yrs or so ? based on old brass pump that was there before I replaced it)
28000 gal with attached spa. around 40x25, 9 ft on deep end.
New Pentair variable speed pump
DE 60 SF filter

I would like your opinion about the finish. As for the pool many stains and color variations. The co. that did the plaster
blamed me for staining my pool by not having properly balanced water, not brushing when starting up.
I tested the water daily and once a week had it tested in the pol store.
The pH was right around 7.6 never any higher. TA 90. Calcium hardness around 250. TDS was 600
I brushed the pool min three times a day.
They did agree to do an acid start up (14 gal of acid in the pool and then added 2 more gal after 4 days)
The pool looks better, but still has spots mostly at the bowl. I guess they may go away after some time and expose more aggregate ?
The finish is California Quartz - Malibu Is anyone familiar with it or has pictures of their pool with same finish so I could compare ?

Also is there ultimate sealant to seal stainless steel light niche in spa that was damaged when old plaster was removed ?
I have used A+B before on the skimmer and it is holding well for last 7 years. I did not try it on stainless steel which is in the spa and will be exposed to hot water.

Any input and/or opinion would be great.
Thanks.

[attachment=2:t7cgr7gd]spa1.jpg[/attachment:t7cgr7gd]
[attachment=1:t7cgr7gd]Spa3.jpg[/attachment:t7cgr7gd]
[attachment=0:t7cgr7gd]spa2.jpg[/attachment:t7cgr7gd]

Attachments

• spa1.jpg
    spa1.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 480
  • Spa3.jpg
    Spa3.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 479
  • spa2.jpg
    spa2.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 480
duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol: I am not sure what your question is? Do you want an opinion about the calcium scale?

Hi Dave, I am trying to get opinion if the finish look like it has calcium stains or not so good finish job troweling
As someone told me, to them it it looks like workmanship issues and possibly wrong ingredients used in plaster
So i am looking for more opinions before I spend money and hire NPC to have them come out
Can the plaster be tested in a lab ?
Thank you.

If acid removes it, then it is likely calcium for sure. That said, I suppose there could be something in the mix that produces calcium but that seems a stretch.

It is hard to comment on the workmanship from a few pics so that seems something you and the plasterer need to somehow get on the same page or have someone visually inspect the work.

duraleigh said:
If acid removes it, then it is likely calcium for sure. That said, I suppose there could be something in the mix that produces calcium but that seems a stretch.

It is hard to comment on the workmanship from a few pics so that seems something you and the plasterer need to somehow get on the same page or have someone visually inspect the work.

Well, all I know that acid removes many things including hard "cream" of finished concrete, metals, etc
It will destroy lime stones and other soft materials permanently. So yes calcium would be easy to remove with even mild acid.
I am no pool expert, but I am a contractor so I work with many different materials.

I am addressing the uneven areas in the spa (I only took pic of one wall) pit holes, trowel marks, etc. and looking for an expert opinion of others to tell me if this is how plaster look normally when done.

Should I add more pics ? Would that help ?
Thank you

I agree with Blaine...that looks like a really lousy job from those pictures. I also agree w/ Dave...can we see a larger view? Are the pictures all the same plaster? The picture w/ the air bubbler looks quite different from the others.

Melt In The Sun said:
I agree with Blaine...that looks like a really lousy job from those pictures. I also agree w/ Dave...can we see a larger view? Are the pictures all the same plaster? The picture w/ the air bubbler looks quite different from the others.

I will take more pictures and post them. yes it is same plaster. All pics are from the spa. The pictures with the air bar are at bottom and that is what the finish suppose to look like with the exposed quartz .
The two other pictures are from the spa wall and you can see part of the seat in the corner.
The company did agree to replaster the spa after they finaly found the leak which was at the bottom drain (hole in plaster near suction line according to leak detection company
now I can only assume that the pool finish is for the most part as bad but it is not so visible because of the depth of water
thanks all for your inputs

duraleigh said:

after call to NPC and even without them coming out, they will replaster the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are some pics
[attachment=1:16txdbvp]Pool small.jpg[/attachment:16txdbvp]
[attachment=2:16txdbvp]pool bowl.jpg[/attachment:16txdbvp]
[attachment=0:16txdbvp]Spa small.jpg[/attachment:16txdbvp]

Attachments

• pool bowl.jpg
    pool bowl.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 317
  • Pool small.jpg
    Pool small.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 318
  • Spa small.jpg
    Spa small.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 318
These recent pictures look good but they are not as close to the plaster as the first ones so it is hard to tell. The trowel marks you are showing in this more recent set of pictures, 2nd picture, are a non-issue, that's just the way it goes. The plaster, however, should be smooth and not rough like you were showing originally. Those first pictures didn't even look like they did any finish troweling.

Some underwater pics, closeups of the problem areas in the main pool II think might really help out these wise folks here at TFP.
If you don't already have an underwater/waterproof camera, consider the following.

You can get a disposable Fuji underwater 35mm film camera for less than $10.
Another cheapo option, a Zip-Lock baggie and a cheap point-&-shoot.
I'd test it with a dry paper towel inside, then go diving in the pool with it. If you come back up and dry off the outside, inspecting the contents within and find it's dry. Then I'd say your safe to put the camera in, just make sure it's fully sealed!!! Maybe double bag it.

There are also cheap waterproof bags for point-&-shoot cameras for around $20. Neewer has one for about $5 and DicaPac has a better one for around $20. Just look on Amazon, lots of options.

If you want to spend around $100, you could do one of the following.
Also, there are many waterproof cameras, good to various depths, on Amazon for pretty cheap.
There's also the GoPro HD camcorder series that's good to scuba level depths and takes 5MP stills.

Keep in mind, it wouldn't really just be one use if you didn't go with the disposable. These are a blast, underwater, in water and half water/half horizon shots are super fun and very amazing!! :D

y_not said:
Some underwater pics, closeups of the problem areas in the main pool II think might really help out these wise folks here at TFP.
If you don't already have an underwater/waterproof camera, consider the following.

You can get a disposable Fuji underwater 35mm film camera for less than $10.
Another cheapo option, a Zip-Lock baggie and a cheap point-&-shoot.
I'd test it with a dry paper towel inside, then go diving in the pool with it. If you come back up and dry off the outside, inspecting the contents within and find it's dry. Then I'd say your safe to put the camera in, just make sure it's fully sealed!!! Maybe double bag it.

There are also cheap waterproof bags for point-&-shoot cameras for around $20. Neewer has one for about $5 and DicaPac has a better one for around $20. Just look on Amazon, lots of options.

If you want to spend around $100, you could do one of the following.
Also, there are many waterproof cameras, good to various depths, on Amazon for pretty cheap.
There's also the GoPro HD camcorder series that's good to scuba level depths and takes 5MP stills.

Keep in mind, it wouldn't really just be one use if you didn't go with the disposable. These are a blast, underwater, in water and half water/half horizon shots are super fun and very amazing!! :D

I have small cheap camera , what I don't have is wet suit to go diving :-D
But will try to get some pics.

vman1 said:
I have small cheap camera , what I don't have is wet suit to go diving :-D
But will try to get some pics.

If the camera has a self-timer you could rig something on a pole and use a ziplock.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.