HELP -Want to Add Step to SPA - Gunite already shot

Sep 5, 2012
So our spa is on the same level as our pool. We were not wise enough to think of adding a step and the pool builder didn't bring it up either.
Me and wife can get in out, kids will prolly care less, but it will be difficult for grandparents and even us in a few years.

They shot the gunite on 10/15 and the pool is in the process of curing. I think I would like to add a little triangle step in the corner of the spa.
What are my options? Does this have to be made of Gunite? Do they have to bring out the truck for such a small step?
Will adding this 2 weeks after original shoot affect anything?

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks!!

I think if it were a raised spa I'd be ok. You can sit on the raised sides, kick your feet over, and then get in. Our spa is ground level so you would have to kneel down and
sit down on the ground to get in. Fine for people in 20's but I would think older people might find it hard. Thoughts?

A step was added in my neighbor's pool, after gunite but before pebbletec. They drilled a couple holes for rebar to tie it in, then formed it up and poured it using sackcrete.

No step is OK on raised spa because you can sit on the coping and swing legs in and out, for a lowered spa same elevation as pool I would recommend a step, tell your PB you want one and see what he says, I don't see why you can't do what chiefwej says.

If I do go the drill holes for rebar and sackcrete. Do I wait the initial 27 days from the original gunite before the drill in, or is better to go ahead and have them do it before then? Make sense?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.