Intex cartridge filter upgrade and cleaning tutorial

Sep 7, 2012
Australia
For all of you who suffer with the Intex cartridges, there is a solution.
Firstly you need to get some replacement filters made of a different material called Reemay.
This is a spun polyester and is the same as used in 'proper' filters.
You will need at least 2, one to use and the other to swap when cleaning.
I am on my second season with mine and they show no sign of deterioration or loss of filtering ability.
They are available online from here and probably from other outlets as well:
Intex A replacement:
http://www.filtersfast.com/Filbur-FC-37 ... Filter.asp
Intex B replacement:
http://www.filtersfast.com/P-Intex-Pool ... Filter.asp

Now for the cleaning. This is a simple, cheap, safe and effective method which won't damage your filter.
You will need:
Garden hose with a spray nozzle (don't use a pressure washer), bucket, pack of clothes whitener containing only Sodium Percarbonate available from the laundry powder section in any supermarket.
Please note that different brands contain different concentrations often with little or no difference in price so check. I use one which contains 35%.
1. Remove filter and flush out housing. Insert your clean 2nd filter.
2. Spray wash filter with spray nozzle on garden hose. Turn upside down as you spray.
3. Place about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of whitener in bucket. Place filter in bucket. Fill bucket with hot water, dunking and turning the filter up and down as it fills with water.
4. Leave to soak overnight.
5. Remove filter and repeat step 2,
6. Leave on counter to dry.
Note: Always wash filter immediately without allowing it to dry out before cleaning.
Steps 2 to 5 may need to be repeated for very dirty filters, but usually not.
I tested dishwasher powder of good quality and it hardly worked at all, so stick with the above whitener.

Pic showing before and after:
[attachment=0:19i07z90]filter 007.jpg[/attachment:19i07z90]

Attachments

• filter 007.jpg
    filter 007.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 173
poolsupplysales said:
Your on the right track now if you use a filtering aid ( I like fiber clear ) add into skimmer with pump running after installing the clean filter it will improve your filtering even greater than it is now
I find the filtering ability/longevity between cleans, with this method, no different to when the filters were new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.